Extract Lager Nelson Sauvin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st.sloth

Reaction score
howdy chaps

would love to give the Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale a crack, but only have access to extract ingredients through my local HBS.

can someone suggest an extract recipe that would be close to this? willing to order some specialty stuff online but nothing too heavy.

cheers, Louie

howdy chaps

would love to give the Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale a crack, but only have access to extract ingredients through my local HBS.

can someone suggest an extract recipe that would be close to this? willing to order some specialty stuff online but nothing too heavy.

cheers, Louie
I'm no expert but I will give you a starting point.

2kg LDME
100g Crystal steeped 20 min (200g would be better but will darken it up a bit)
500g Wheat malt ( 1kg would be ok too)

Do a 5L or bigger boil and add you hops at the right times. With a 80 min boil you will need to start with say 7L to finish with 5L.

Thats my guess

Cheers.

cheers roverfj1200.

from my understanding, Ross' inclusion of the 400g Torrefied Wheat (as it is only 10% of total grain along with 4kg of Pale Ale malt) is mainly for head retention purposes with a slight addition to flavour.

which is what you're going for with the crystal and wheat malt suggestion yes?

just looking of his site, would this be the right crystal and wheat?

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=778

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=796

my LHBS has none of this stuff. obviously i would be ordering it pre-cracked ready for steeping and mashing respectively...

cheers, Louie

Beer: - Nelson Sauvin
Type: Extract
Size: 23 liters
Color: 7 HCU (~5 SRM)
Bitterness: 36 IBU
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 4.6% v/v (3.6% w/w)
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.137
Boil Size: 8 liters

I don't think this brew would need any crystal.

Ingredients:

2.5kg Light dry malt extract
300g Dried Wheat extract
200g Corn sugar (dextrose)

Hops: 35g nelson (11.4% AA, 60 min.)
30g nelson (11.4% AA, 30 min.)
20g nelson (11.4% AA, 5 min.)
30g nelson (aroma)

US05 yeast

heh - had started working on the previous post edit before you got here Mant.

cheers - you the man.

Torrified needs to be mashed. If you have the equipment and means/knowledge to do this then sub out the wheat DME from my recipe. Don't just steep it though.

Crystal is also good for head retention and brings a nice flavour to extract brews but the grain bill on the original recipe looks fairly simple and not overly sweet, allowing the hops to shine through. That's why I wouldn't add it here (crystal brings sweetness too).

hmmm... looks as if getting a hold of the dry wheat malt extract quickly is going to be a problem.

the LHBS has Wheat LME however. is there any setbacks to using LME as opposed to DME other than measuring up the right amounts out of the tin?

Should be fine. Make sure you adjust the amounts to get your preferred percentage/abv/IBU and make sure the date on the tin is acceptable.

I'm pretty sure the Torrefied wheat malt would need a base malt to be mashed with as well

Back