Extract Everard's Amber Irregularities

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RdeVjun

Reaction score
Hi all, saw this post mentioning butterscotch a few weeks ago, now it has me wondering. I have an Everard's Old Original which is getting peculiar, in just some bottles, and I wonder if its not diacetyl, perhaps from infection and I would be grateful for your comments.

I'd better explain, its an extract along the lines of the Morgan's recipe:
2.2kg Morgan's Pale Malt Extract
1 kg Morgan's Caramalt
0.3 kg Dextrose (initial gravity a bit too low)
2 * 12g Fuggles hop bags Hops 1
1 * 12g Goldings hop bag Hops 2
1 * 12g Goldings hop bag Hops 3
Brewcellar English Ale Yeast

In 4 litres rainwater I slow boiled ~0.7kg PME with Hops 1 for 60mins, Hops 2 in for 15mins, rinsed the cans with the hot wort, threw it all in the fermenter with 20 litres chilled, boiled rainwater. Pitched at 22, hovered around there for primary. Dry hopped Hops 3 at secondary 5 days later, bottled 3 days after that, with gelatin finings in boiling water a day before bottling. Initial gravity was 1.039, final 1.012. Oh and I used up pretty much the last of my carb drops.

Now, its about 6 weeks from bottling, and since a week ago, I started cracking a few open (only 10 * 660s down so far!) and some have the butterscotch, but frustratingly some don't. Its got me wondering if its a diacetyl infection in just _some_ :blink: of them.

I didn't do or strike anything unusual at bottling to make me think there was an infection vector and haven't ever struck this before. The ones without it I really don't mind at all, but the rest I'm a bit put off by the flavour. It might be my sensitive palate getting attenuated (!!), but the butterscotch taste seems to dissipate a fair bit by the end of a bottle and the aroma hops seems to come through a bit more by then. Is this how diacetyl behaves? Its not outrageous, just noticable. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any comments, greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back