Extract Cooling Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sav

Brewing at the battered's shed
Reaction score
My next brew i want try my first extract with a little grain,my question is can i add it to my fermenter and turn my fridge mate down to 0deg,then to picting temp,cause i dont have a wort chiller yet it seems like you never have enough gear,

What size pot are you using? If you put the lid on in the last few minutes of the boil, then stick the pot in your kitchen sink with a few ice bricks, you can generally get it down to less than 30 degrees in an hour.

Water cooling is generally quicker than air cooling

if youre doing a full boil, dont expect your fridge to cool it down, it will ruin your compressor.

personally i dont put anything in my fridge over 35C as its just far too much a strain on the compressor. lately ive just been letting my wort chill in the fermenter till its down around 30ish and then into the fridge to knock off the last few C then pitch at around 25 for ales and set the fridgemate to 17C and forget about it.

been taking advantage of the weather cooling down and brewing in the late arvo, so by the time im done, its getting dark and cooling off, so i can just leave my carboy outside for a few hours and the temp drops damn quick :p

You could find a food grate plastic container that is about the same size as your boil and put it in that for the night. A mini nochill. Failing that, as previously said, just stick it in an ice bath.

My fermenter fridge is a freezer,and my pot is 30lt Gueness keg so i will need a big sink,i will put it in the freezer if it wont get infected.Thanks for the replys.

You could freeze some pre-boiled water in sterile ice cream containers a day or 2 before brew day, then pop the ice straight in the wort after the boil, either in the pot or fermenter. I've done this a few times, drops the temp in no time. If your doing a full boil you will have to factor in the extra water.

I dont put anything warm in a fridge, just opening the door for a short time on a mild day is enough to up the temp a couple degrees.... until the compressor catches up.

Latest posts

Back