Extract Aipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshisgood

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm thinking of doingan extract American ipa with all ten minute hop additions this is it so far.

4kg ldme
200g dextrose
280g light crystal or caramalt
Nottingham yeAst
50g Amarillo
50g centennial
80g cascade
All hops at ten minutes
Worked out in beersmith with about 60 ibu, og 1060 (7% abv)
Anyone done something similar? Should I go for the ten minute thing or make it a 60 minut schedule? And I was thinking about a yeast starter but I haven't made one before so I might just rehydrate 2 packs of yeast. Any thoughts, suggestions or advice on recipe would be much appreciated, cheers jOsh.
Ps will be a 10 litre boil, 23 litre batch

yeah sounds alright. I love 10min additions but never done a all 10 min one I am sure it will be good. I would boil the cystal malt longer then 10mins though, to kill all the bugs. I am not sure what the least you could get away with but maybe do a 30min boil but still just add the hops at 10mins.

I once made a partial and put the grain wort in a 5lt cube as I got called away and couldnt do a boil that day. The next day the cube was about to burst and smelt so damn rank, I been told its from the stuff in the grains and its best to boil straight away.

Hi 60 IBU is a very bitter brew the rest seems ok but I'd personaly use US05 yeast and lower the hops maybe even half but if you like a very bitter ale try it

With an OG of 1060 and an IBU of 60 give you a GU:BU of 1. I'd be picking it closer to 1.5 for an American ipa. I'd keep the gravity at 1060 but bump up the IBU to over 70.

I'd do something like this;
30 IBU @ 60
20 IBU @ 30
10 IBU @ 15
then 2g/L @ 5
Dry hop 2g/L

Use an American yeast like uso5, 1056 or 1272 ferment @ 18C

I put something similar in style down on the weekend, not sure how it will turn out though:

2 Coopers pale ale tins
1 kg ldme
300g Crystal malt steeped
20g Cascade, 20g Amarillo @20
15g Cascade, 15g Amarillo @5
15g Cascade, 15g Amarillo dry hop day 4.
US05 rehydrated, pitched @ 18

Have a bit of Centenial left over from another brew which I may or may not chuck in. Either way I think this one will need to be aged for a while to get it to work!

Just a suggestion, but I'd gor for a little more/darker crystal than what you have there, it will help balance it out a little more. With only 280g of very light crystal I'm not even sure you'd notice it in a brew this big, all you'll have it bitterness & not much malt character.

Edit: And 1272 is an awesome yeast for AIPA's, IMO

Hi 60 IBU is a very bitter brew the rest seems ok but I'd personaly use US05 yeast and lower the hops maybe even half but if you like a very bitter ale try it
:eek:

Pfft! 60IBU isnt THAT bitter... but it all depends on the malt to back it up...

if he said he was going with 90-100IBU that would be VERY bitter... 60-70 IBU for an OG of 1.060 is about right to me...

Switch to US-05. Nottingham is great (it's my 2nd most used yeast), but for APA/AIPA/any Pale Ale, it tends to strip the character from the hops, and you end up with a non-hoppy pale ale. US-05 leaves the hoppiness in there.

Nottingham is great for faux-lagers and anything you need attenuated thin.

Goomba

I actually find nottingham great for IPA's... and I think im one of the only people here that doesnt really like US05...

personal preference actually..

I back DJ up notto is great I just done a APA and heaps of hop flavour in there not much aroma but I only tasted it out of fermenter and just dropped the dry hops in few mins later. Its a bloody cracker of a beer very smooth round flavour and hops come threw perfect. The recipe called for us05 but I have had a few bad runs of it finishing higher then I wanted really high actually around 1020 from 1055. I am going to try 1056 liquid next brew I know its the same but want to see if it makes a difference

I been doing a few of these lately and couldn't get it quite right until I read jamils pointer which was to add at least a pound of dex, that made it a way better session beer. Read brewing classic styles. I use 1kg in 50L. Also for a big hop hit I do a decent add of about 2g/L at flameout then cool it asap to preserve it. I tip it in the fermenter and start adding cold water straight away and a bag of ice. Cheers

I'd replace about 750g-1kg of the LDME with dextrose. Whenever I do LDME extract batches I work off a 3:1 malt to dex ratio, otherwise they end up cloyingly sweet and 1.020+.

It also depends on what extract you're using. They don't all ferment out equally.

I've made some crackers with Nottingham - but I find (and Ross from craftbrewer backed this up for me on the weekend) that it strips more aroma and flavour away than US-05. So an IPA is more an APA as a result. I'm not saying it won't make a cracking beer, but if you are up for hop utilisation, then US-05 is better.

As for the finishing high - assuming you're an extract brewer, it's quite likely the steeping grains. Given you aren't mashing, then there is no base grain to convert the spec grains into fermentable sugars (plus you may be steeping at a higher temp). Hence, you may have a higher FG than anticipated.

Combine that with the fact that, US-05 isn't as attenuative as Nottingham (Notts finds anything edible and goes for it), it might account for your higher FG.

You'll make a fantastic beer. However, my personal prerference is US-05 - I've got two APA one US-05 and one Notts, and the US-05 based one has far more aroma. As a side point, Notts at 14 degrees is fantastic for a faux-continental lager, and English style Pale Ale with lighter hop aroma or any faux-Alt, without the faffing around of lagering.

Having said that, if you steep at, say 65 degrees, you will likely find that your FG will finish lower, as you are in the starch to sugars conversion range of that grain. It won't be perfect, as you haven't a base grain to help with the conversion, but it will be more edible for the yeasties.

Luck to y'all.

Goomba

not sure specialty grains need mashing bloke, not carapils cara-amber etc, maybe biscuit or special b or such but not crystal but I been wrong before. the dex will fix your prob kelby, I was having the same probs. I use coopers LLME and was finishing around 1018 but with 1kg dex subbed in 50L [@6%ish] getting about 1013 now.

Odd, I've not had issues with all lme/dme brews finishing that high. Standard for me was 1.014 with a pack if 05

Edit: Thats with Coopers lme & Bintani dme

well I cant remember if I used US05 with AG I think one was it did get lower then 1020 but it still was a bit higher then I thought I didnt worry and it was cooling down to so found nottingham would work where us05 didnt well in saying that just looked at brew book and one was a AG but it dropped to about 15 deg and stalled at 1018 it kicked off again but took 16 days to ferment out where I can do nottingham at 14 deg and its done under 10 days which I need working 10 on 4 off as the Us05 I had to wait till my next break to keg it so was a bit of a pain lol.

Well I only had 3 brews and 3 in a row do it so maybe it was the batch I had used it prob 20 times before hand with no worries. But now its warming up I will be trying some more yeasts. prob try to try some liquid yeast, I think my last brew was better as MHB gave me some stuff to throw in the mash water it seemed to clear it up better in the kettle and hops seem alot rounded flavour then last one. when I get my new 80lt pot and 70lt esky set up I want to split them in 2 fermenters and try different yeasts on the same batch to really see the difference

Hey thanks for the advice guys, I'll have another look at my recipe and change a few things when I get home. Would one pack of rehydrated us05 or Nottingham be able to handle that or would it need a starter?
Cheers josh

not sure specialty grains need mashing bloke, not carapils cara-amber etc, maybe biscuit or special b or such but not crystal but I been wrong before. the dex will fix your prob kelby, I was having the same probs. I use coopers LLME and was finishing around 1018 but with 1kg dex subbed in 50L [@6%ish] getting about 1013 now.

You're right.

I was making the point, that since the grains aren't being mashed with a base malt, then it is unlikely to be converted, since the base grain provides the diastatic power needed to convert starches to sugars. In an extract brew, using spec grains is purely a flavour addition, and will add little or no fermentables (edible sugars).

Because of that, the liquor provided from the steeped grains is unlikely to be edible for the yeast.

Because of that, the gravity of the liquor post fermentation is likely to be higher, as the (heavier than water) liquor provided by the steeped grains won't have been fermented (eaten by yeast).

So the point I'm finishing with is - maybe the FG is higher, because of this. If the spec grains were mashed with a base grain, they'd be more fermentable. Since they aren't, they are less fermentable and less fermentation = higher FG.

Goomba

Latest posts

Back