Extract Aipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because of that, the liquor provided from the steeped grains is unlikely to be edible for the yeast.

I'm pretty sure that spec malts (say your bog-standard 30 EBC caramalt) when steeped will release just as much sugaz into the wort as an equivalent base malt.

If you mashed a base malt without cracking the grains (converted inside the husk), and then dried it in the oven ... and then milled it and steeped a full sized batch - you'd get beer.

That's how most spec malts are made.

ok, new version goes like this:

23 litre batch, 10 litre boil
3.7 kg ldme
500g dextrose
400-500g Thomas Fawcett light crystal or Barret Burston caramalt
35g citra, 40g amarillo, 40g centennial, 65g cascade @ 10 min
2 packs of rehydrated us05
will boil for at least half an hour
ibu 65.4
og 1.068
fg 1.012
ebc 17.5
abv 7.4%

hows that sound?

cheers josh

not bad FG prob wont get that low but it should be fine. I love citra you ever tried all citra??? if not do it great hop one my fav other then saaz or a nice clean lager hop. But for fruity citra is great!!

not bad FG prob wont get that low but it should be fine. I love citra you ever tried all citra??? if not do it great hop one my fav other then saaz or a nice clean lager hop. But for fruity citra is great!!
this will be first time using citra, just ordered from craftbrewer, i had to order some more amarillo for the recipe and thought id give it a go (got some galaxy too) good to hear

raja I got a 50lt HLT, 70lt mash tun and a 80lt kettle I wont be doing a extract ;)

kelby, no worries. I forget who's using what after a while (and after a few beers....). No offense meant - you're already better equipped than I.

Even more reason to brew it - your equipment is greater than mine - if I can manage to whack this beauty out on the stove, then a 50L HLT, 70 MT and 80L kettle will absolutely smash it. Or at the very least, you'll exert far less effort than I will. Sparging in a colander can be hard work - but this beer makes it so much worth it.

I was going to put this keg on for a poker night. I think another trip down to CB might be necessary and the poker dudes can drink some ordinary willamette based ESB, I'm taking this baby all for myself.

Goomba

haha will put in my to brew list for sure :p I still learning to AG so got a bit to go the gear I got is not set up yet I got a 33lt mashtun and use the 50lt keggle as kettle and the old 20lt stock pot as a HTL lol. Next time I get home will make a manifold and do a double but at least I got gear to fall back on for singles. I figure if it takes me 1 hour longer to brew twice as much I am already infront :p

I hate giving my beer away :p my dad keeps saying he is going to start a brewery as he likes my beers that much and to what I have tasted guys like tony and that brew I am far from a true brewer. lol But as I said to him you can make a good beer but you have to produce it over and over exactly the same to sell it in a brewery and with homebrew its hard without a $3000+ system that recirculates wort and temps are within .5 deg lol

josh citra is great. Well as I have learnt though if you make beer to be balanced its always going to be good I am no good of working all this out yet but some recipes I made that others have are bloody spot on!! but again its all how you like the taste I had a sierra nevada torpedo and a brewdog punk IPA yes they was nice and different but damn they was hoppy lol the sierra was like getting smacked in the face by a hop tree lol but I think if it was a bit sweeter Id like it but to a true IPA that I have never really had before I am sure they are to style lol but damn the hops that go into them are unreal.

Ok here the recipes I got for them AG of coarse

PUNK IPA
maris otter floor malt 5.98kg
target 66g@ 90mins
35g amarillo dry hopped
OG 1060
FG 1014
61IBU
I found this one (commercial version was nice but lacking a little flavour)

torpedo IPA
6.53kg pale ale malt
.255 dark caramalt
52g magnum @ 60
30g magnum @ 5
30g mt hood @ 5
dry hop 21g of each magnum, mt hood, citra
OG 1070
FG 1018
IBU 70

So going from them the OG should match the IBU roughly so it 1068OG should be about 68IBU but FG contributes more to it the the OG I think but guess its a guide to go buy

Back