Extinguisher - How Long Does It Last?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Fester

Old, Grumpy and PROUD of it!
Reaction score
All,
How long should I expect a 3.5 kilo extinguisher to last?

I have noticed that the high side pressure has dropped from 1000 to just a tad under 800 PSI, and I have yet to finish my first keg!!!! :blink:

Initially I had the extinguisher in the fridge with the keg, but now I have it outside.

I do not leave it connected, and have the handle in the "off" position for the vast majority of the time.

Are the high side gauges reliable? Am I paranoid, or what?

The only place I could guess could be leaking would be the thread around the handle... Soapy water gives nothing away.

I was expecting to get 6 months or so from a bottle.

Could any others out there who use fire extinguishers give me some idea of their life span?

Thanks in advance,

M

mandrakar not being a pro on this but i'm sure you'll get different reading when the gas is cold to when the gas is warm...

The bottle has an empty weight stamped on it, I hang it on a ( fishing ) weight scale to check how full/empty it is. Then you can keep an eye on it for one or two kegs and you'll get a feel how much C02 you use per brew.

mandrakar

Since co2 is stored as a liquid the guage will not drop until you are pretty much out of gas, but I have noticed the same thing with mine but it hasnt dropped from 800 and I dont expect it to until its empty.

:beer:

Latest posts

Back