Co2 gas leak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klosey

Reaction score
I use two types of kegging systems. One is a converted 50 litre commercial keg using an A type coupler and the other a corny keg with the input and output valves. I use a 6 kg Co2 tank which should last me for approx 12 months. Not so! When carbonating the Corny keg hardly any movement in the gauge but just cranked up the 50 litre keg to 20psi overnight and the gauge showed nearly empty. So I don’t think the problem is with the fittings of the corny keg. I have done the soapy water tests on all the fittings on both kegs and no sign of bubbles. So I am wondering whether there could be a problem where the A coupler attaches to the 50 litre keg? Any thoughts and if so how can I fix the problem

I use two types of kegging systems. One is a converted 50 litre commercial keg using an A type coupler and the other a corny keg with the input and output valves. I use a 6 kg Co2 tank which should last me for approx 12 months. Not so! When carbonating the Corny keg hardly any movement in the gauge but just cranked up the 50 litre keg to 20psi overnight and the gauge showed nearly empty. So I don’t think the problem is with the fittings of the corny keg. I have done the soapy water tests on all the fittings on both kegs and no sign of bubbles. So I am wondering whether there could be a problem where the A coupler attaches to the 50 litre keg? Any thoughts and if so how can I fix the problem
It's possible the A type spear needs a seal kit, but remember the primary gauge on a co2 regulator doesn't show how much gas is left in the bottle, you need to weigh it to find that out, a reg on a compressed gas (eg, scuba tank) will show the contents, but gasses that liquify under pressure (eg, propane BBQ/co2) will evaporate and show the same pressure as the tank empties (others here can explain it better) so it goes from "full" to "empty" in a matter of minutes.
All kegs need maintenance, this is KL's A type kit https://www.kegland.com.au/seal-kit-for-a-type-coupler.html pretty sure KK do one as well but couldn't find it on their site, in my experience you are far more likely to get a leak from a cornie than a commercial keg, pressurise both to 60 psi (max allowed on a co2 reg) disconnect and spray kegs with soapy water, the A type is easy, cornie don't forget PRV and lid (big O ring) and post poppets, fit new O rings as a mater of course.
Hope that's covered it all, if it doesn't fix the problem re-post, someone else may have other ideas.
Cheers G

Make sure you check the reg as well. The plate that holds the diaphragm in on my micromatic had worked it's way loose and leaked gas from there. Also gas line can get micro holes in it and leak as well.

It's possible the A type spear needs a seal kit, but remember the primary gauge on a co2 regulator doesn't show how much gas is left in the bottle, you need to weigh it to find that out, a reg on a compressed gas (eg, scuba tank) will show the contents, but gasses that liquify under pressure (eg, propane BBQ/co2) will evaporate and show the same pressure as the tank empties (others here can explain it better) so it goes from "full" to "empty" in a matter of minutes.
All kegs need maintenance, this is KL's A type kit Seal Kit for A-Type Keg Coupler pretty sure KK do one as well but couldn't find it on their site, in my experience you are far more likely to get a leak from a cornie than a commercial keg, pressurise both to 60 psi (max allowed on a co2 reg) disconnect and spray kegs with soapy water, the A type is easy, cornie don't forget PRV and lid (big O ring) and post poppets, fit new O rings as a mater of course.
Hope that's covered it all, if it doesn't fix the problem re-post, someone else may have other ideas.
Cheers G
Thanks Grmbiz,

just picked up my full co2 bottle. Will take your advice and pressurise both to 60psi, disconnect and spray the kegs with the soapy water. Hope I can find the problem

cheers Klosey

Back