Excessive Kettle Evaporation Loss

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apart from spelling out the clip usage how is that any different from how Thirsty suggested it be done in his first post?

Didn't thirsty posit almost exactly that in his first post on the subject?

you could get tricky and use a tinfoil hat that allowed the opening to be partially covered.. but channel any condensation away to the outside of the pot.

Not sure how this:
you could do what I do, which is float something on the surface of the liquid.
is going to reflux ALL your DMS back into the boil. If it does, I guess thirty's beers all taste like creamed corn and he just doesn't know the difference.

Edit: I got sucked into arguing on the Internet.

Didn't thirsty posit almost exactly that in his first post on the subject?

Not sure how this: is going to reflux ALL your DMS back into the boil. If it does, I guess thirty's beers all taste like creamed corn and he just doesn't know the difference.

In the other thread Thirsty started about evaporation I asked:

Q. How do you stop the condensed vapour (containing all the stuff you are boiling to be rid of) from refluxing?

A. You don't particularly.

Reflux off a lid is an issue related to re-introducing unwanted volatiles. That will obviously happen, but they will re-boil and re-evaporate. If you were on the lower limit of the evaporation range and barely getting rid of the required volatiles in the first place, I imagine it would be an issue. But seeing as the reason you would want to put a lid on in the first place would be to reduce your excessive evaporation.... You have a bit of spare capacity in your system for volatile stripping which will take care of it.

He's advocating allowing reflux. On this thread he's not.

Now I don't know what to do with my lid :unsure: :unsure: . I think I'll just leave it off.

My interpretation is that any reflux that comes from floating a foil takeaway container on the top of a kettle he's already suggested is too large for the purpose will be minimal and the volatiles will find another way out. I think you're making too much of this. Just try it for yourself and see - if it makes no difference to your own brew then report back here and say so.

It's odd that you're arguing theory over practical experience but I think you're arguing it with people who already have a decent grasp of theory. Regardless - put your own principles into practice and try it before dismissing it.

Apart from spelling out the clip usage how is that any different from how Thirsty suggested it be done in his first post?

Hi,
I don't know what you mean.
There was no mention in his 1st post about how the lid could be left on & condensate not drop in.

".......The obvious way is to put a lid partially on - all sorts of people will tell you that a lid is a bad idea, but that's only true if you let too much of the liquid that condenses on it drip back into the pot (re-introducing the volatiles that have previously evaporated)'

In his 3rd post he wrote:
"We cant even close down the stack on our kettle to cut back evaporation a little."

I have simply illustrated how the 'stack' can be closed off some without the condensate from the lid dropping back in. That simple. Nothing more.

Wad

My interpretation is that any reflux that comes from floating a foil takeaway container on the top of a kettle he's already suggested is too large for the purpose will be minimal and the volatiles will find another way out. I think you're making too much of this. Just try it for yourself and see - if it makes no difference to your own brew then report back here and say so.

It's odd that you're arguing theory over practical experience but I think you're arguing it with people who already have a decent grasp of theory. Regardless - put your own principles into practice and try it before dismissing it.

My interpretation came from what I posted above. We're not talking about a floating container - we're talking about a lid.

I've got some ideas!

Mark

and-then-i-lold.jpg

I don't really know what we're talking about anymore.

I wonder if the poor guy who asked about how to reduce the evaporation rate in his 19L pot does? I said something about a rolling boil, gave the guy my experience in the subject (I boil in a 19L pot) and then Thirsty went a wrote a freakin essay.

Why did the chicken cross the road?

You want the answer, or Thirsty's version? :rolleyes: :D

Was quite happy with both versions until it became a war.*

*internet war

Hi,
I don't know what you mean.
There was no mention in his 1st post about how the lid could be left on & condensate not drop in.

".......The obvious way is to put a lid partially on - all sorts of people will tell you that a lid is a bad idea, but that's only true if you let too much of the liquid that condenses on it drip back into the pot (re-introducing the volatiles that have previously evaporated)'

In his 3rd post he wrote:
"We cant even close down the stack on our kettle to cut back evaporation a little."

I have simply illustrated how the 'stack' can be closed off some without the condensate from the lid dropping back in. That simple. Nothing more.

Wad

I was in no way inferring that anything you posted was wrong, inadequate or even just rehashing something already said. I'm sure your post was and will be useful to many. My question to Nick about his response to your post was based in the fact that the way I see it your pictorial post seemed in many ways to demonstrate things Thirsty had already either clearly said or inferred and I was able to join the dots for myself. The use of clips aside (an elegant solution I wouldn't have thought of there, btw) your pictures pretty much reflect what I was imagining TB was getting at in parts of his posts - posts that Nick seems vehemently opposed to. I hope this has made my earlier post a little more clear. (Although reading this one back I suspect I might have managed to do the exact opposite. Sorry if this is the case.)

Oh, it's on now, bitch!

[EDIT: Actually, at first I just thought you were correcting my possible misuse of the word "inferring" - hence the joke above. But now I'm not so sure. If it seems I'm slighting anyone else I'd like a little clarification as to whom since I might be being a little dense at the moment.]

TB:
Love the 'floating container', wish I heard of it earlier. My stove struggles to boil 18L in my 19L Big W pot (wider than tall). With the lid mostly on it just does a gentle boil. Now, with a magical floating container, I get the same boil without the lid. And when the hop bag joins the flotilla, a 'vigorous' boil.

I've learned to look forward to your input (eg. "essays"). In fact when I see YOUR name attached to a thread I don't skip over it. Ta...

TB:
Love the 'floating container', wish I heard of it earlier. My stove struggles to boil 18L in my 19L Big W pot (wider than tall). With the lid mostly on it just does a gentle boil. Now, with a magical floating container, I get the same boil without the lid. And when the hop bag joins the flotilla, a 'vigorous' boil.

I've learned to look forward to your input (eg. "essays"). In fact when I see YOUR name attached to a thread I don't skip over it. Ta...

You boil 18L in a 19L pot with a vigorous boil? I'd love to see that!

Nick
You we all know by now that you won't shut up until you gets the last word

A big part point of the discussion (for want of a better term) is that you shouldn't be boiling 18L in a 19L pot, its unsafe for one and more importantly it limits you ability to make good beer.
I've read enough of your posts to conclude that you are either impenetrably obtuse or just so frigging tight you could sharpen pencils in your anus.

Please put me back on ignore I find it much more peaceful
Mark

Back