Excess trub in primary

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

time01

Reaction score
Did an IPA on the weekend and used a whirlfloc tab for the first time. Doesn't appear to have worked real well as I have quite a bit of trub in the primary, it's just over the level of the tap. I can probably work out what I did wrong with whirlfloc, just wondering what's the best way to get rid of all the trub as I will be bottling? Perhaps transfer to a secondary? I should point out I BIAB and no chill. Think I had 63 grams of hops in the cube once I transferred wort to it.

Sometimes its just the first bottle that gets some glug. Pour a little and see. Fill your hydrometer test tube a couple of tiimes it should clear. It creates a little channel to the outlet then runs fairly clear. I avoid secondary. I've had quite a few batches that the sediment seems to be level with the tap and kegged or bottled anyway as the best option (for me).
Sounds like the Wirfloc has done its job dropping the solids. Without it you could have less sediment and much more cloudy beer.

Why don't you try bulk priming? Siphon off from the top into a second FV with priming sugar and then bottle from there. That way you're guaranteed to draw off clean, clear beer.

Wait until fermentation has finished and i bet the level will be under the tap. I think the yeast eats some then squashes down the rest.

agree, left for 3 weeks. Cold crashing settles even more. Its like a cemented cake. The initial dispersion clears the glug in the tap then runs clear.

Let it do its thing, then draw 200ml of real quick before bottling to create a channel as everyone has said.

But you are biab and cubing so its expected to get some. I don't bother with anything, just a good old fashioned whirlpool, it'll do wonders. I can read the news papers through my beer. Ha-ha.

I think the trub actually sits higher up the sides of the fermenter than it is in the centre- just the way the yeast accumulates from hitting the sides when falling.
As everyone else has said, your beer will be clear after a couple of hundred mls when you've cleared a trench through the yeast. If you were to siphon out from the top, you'd probably waste the same amount by not wanting to disturb the cake anyway.

Cheers,
RB

Thanks for the tips lads, I do bulk prime so syphon from top may be an option. I'll see how it settles in the next few weeks

Latest posts

Back