Ethical chocolate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex N Oz

Reaction score
My Missus just handed me a chunk of this "ethical chocolate" and it was pretty shit. It was grainy and not very smooth or milky.
I feel guilty for not liking it...

Mardoo said:
Good. That's the point.
That child labour and horrible working conditions make a better chocolate?
I'll send the kids into the kitchen to whip me up a batch right now.. haha

Tex N Oz said:
My Missus just handed me a chunk of this "ethical chocolate" and it was pretty shit. It was grainy and not very smooth or milky.
I feel guilty for not liking it...
It was probably really shit ethical chocolate

You can get some very, very nice ethical chocolate. B)

Is fair trade and ethical the same thing, or does ethical mean you have to wear sandals? Only ask as I've had some excellent fair trade chocolate, but do t wear sandals

Blind Dog said:
Is fair trade and ethical the same thing, or does ethical mean you have to wear sandals? Only ask as I've had some excellent fair trade chocolate, but do t wear sandals
I grabbed the package and read it. Now I REALLY feel guilty about it tasting like shit...It's made in Madagascar from local cocoa to try and bring some commerce to the very impoverished country.
It's made in cooperation with some mob from the UK as a charity thing and marketed world-wide to get things moving. I always try to buy Madagascar vanilla beans just to try and help em out at x2 the price of PNG vanilla. Maybe they just need more time to sort it all out.

I make sure all my chocolate is killed humanely before I eat it.

That was probably raw chocolate. Its the latest thang. Essentially its not cooked and conched hot for ages like regular chocolate is. Apparently it activates the somethignorothers and preserves the somethingelses. What it actually does is produce grainy, shitty tasting chocolate. You can also make it in your back shed with no special equipment si its popular with tiny producers who don't want to invest in the right gear and would rather convince you that shitty chocolate is somehow better.

Get ethical (yes, free trade is much the same thing) but not the raw stuff.

Airgead said:

That was probably raw chocolate. Its the latest thang. Essentially its not cooked and conched hot for ages like regular chocolate is. Apparently it activates the somethignorothers and preserves the somethingelses. What it actually does is produce grainy, shitty tasting chocolate. You can also make it in your back shed with no special equipment si its popular with tiny producers who don't want to invest in the right gear and would rather convince you that shitty chocolate is somehow better.

Get ethical (yes, free trade is much the same thing) but not the raw stuff.
I agree. After thinking about it, it's almost like Mexican chocolate and it's made that way. They ferment the nibs and crush em up and cook it with milk and sugar to make it set.
It's definitely not conched for days on end but they probably don't have the gear to do that. Fair enough.

Airgead said:
Nothing worse than having it bludgeoned to death slowly

Airgead said:
. You can also make it in your back shed with no special equipment si its popular with tiny producers who don't want to invest in the right gear
They do that with coca as well :D

Back