Estimate FG

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzman

Reaction score
I need a ROUGH guide to estimating FG. As in grams of sugar per litre will give X % alcohol and
gm malt/litre = % alcohol.
I know I need to take OG to find FG, but I'm knocking out small batches to try different hops, like 8 litres or 10 or 12 etc and need a rough guide. I put far too many ferment angles in one and ended up with over 8%, and whilst this is not a problem, I'd like to be able to guess to around half a percent when mixing up.
Can you help me please?
Thanks

Hey Jazzman,
Have you tried ianh's spreadsheet?
Download it here (it's the at the top of the listed topics in the Kits & Extracts sub-forum B) )
That should work to give you an FG.

BTW, if you're using sugar as a shortcut to boost up fermentables, keep in mind it lacks some of the nutrients the yeasts need, and too much by itself produces some pretty bad flavours.

www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator/

Do the maths yourself.

Asking for a rough guide to a complex problem will mean rough answers. There are various calculators on the internet that will help you out on a need-be basis.

For OG you're looking at the density of the sugar in solution to calculate it. A rough guide is -

Table sugar
1 kg of sugar in 10l will give an SG of around 1.038.

LDM
1 kg in 10l gives around 1.040

Adjust your sugar level to adjust SG - half the sugar will result in half the 'points' i.e. 500g = SG of 1.019

For FG, again very varied but you can use apparent attentuation (say 75% for malt) of the yeast on your points to determine FG. A raw sugar solution will attentuate much more than that, up to 100% from what I've read.

46 * (1-0.75) = 1.011 FG

However, sugar is much more fermentable than malt and will attentuate more.

For basic ABV calculation, ABV = (OG - FG) * 131.25

So, by extension -
  • 1kg sugar in 10l = 5.0%
  • 1kg LDM in 10l = 3.8%
All the above will only be right in one specific applicaton and will vary depending on many things, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Just don't expect consistent results.

Thanks very much Wiggman. That's all I need. A really thorough reply and most appreciated. I know it'll be approx but will help me not make the rocket fuel I've been making!
And thanks everyone else. I'll check those calculators tonight.
I knew about Ian's spreadsheet but only got Japanese type script when I tried to open it last night.
Thanks again.

Back