Eskie Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

googe

Reaction score
G'day all. i put a lager down in an eskie thisarvo. I know ive seen something about it on this site but for the life of me i cant find it. Could someone please point me in the right direction :).

Cheers Greg

G'day all. i put a lager down in an eskie thisarvo. I know ive seen something about it on this site but for the life of me i cant find it. Could someone please point me in the right direction :).

Cheers Greg
Gday Greg,
I'm assuming it's a kit lager?What's your recipe?
Unless I'm totally & utterly mistaken, we use eskies for mashing grain in. Not fermenting in.
Basic setup would be an esky with a bit of braided hose at the bottom attached to a tap. Put your grain in here and fill with hot water - "mashing". Once you mash your grain for about an hour, you "sparge" (rinse) the grain, draining it all through the tap and then boil all that wort (amber malty beery water) with the hops (smelly green stuff the wife hates), then throw it in your coopers fermenter.

So, um, how old is this esky? How many scratches?
I'd stick with using the coopers one dude.
At the least, thumbs up for experimenting.
Pete

that is a very simple explanition of a complex brewing technique

although ill prob cop a bit for that comment about how easy it is lol :beerbang:

ill admit ive never tried it though im still a kit brewer

that is a very simple explanition of a complex brewing technique

although ill prob cop a bit for that comment about how easy it is lol :beerbang:

ill admit ive never tried it though im still a kit brewer
Yeah, Further down the line, man. Move up when you're ready to.

Yeah, Further down the line, man. Move up when you're ready to.

one day ill give it a go but for now im happy to have everything cleaned steralized and fermenter filled with beer in under 30 minutes...............bottling takes around an hour keeps the mrs happy as im not doing "that shit all bloody day" lol

Gday Greg,
I'm assuming it's a kit lager?What's your recipe?
Unless I'm totally & utterly mistaken, we use eskies for mashing grain in. Not fermenting in.
Basic setup would be an esky with a bit of braided hose at the bottom attached to a tap. Put your grain in here and fill with hot water - "mashing". Once you mash your grain for about an hour, you "sparge" (rinse) the grain, draining it all through the tap and then boil all that wort (amber malty beery water) with the hops (smelly green stuff the wife hates), then throw it in your coopers fermenter.

So, um, how old is this esky? How many scratches?
I'd stick with using the coopers one dude.
At the least, thumbs up for experimenting.
Pete

G'day Pete, yep its a lager kit. Bacchus & Barley lager, with 50/50 malt, dex. I've seen the mash in an eskie but i was sure i saw a kit done in one lol. Oh well good to experiment like you say :lol: . The eskie is old but tottaly unused, ive had it sitting around. I just checked it and its sitting in 28c, probably to high? its quite cool here this week so im hoping over tonight and the next few days it might drop concideratly. I put a morgans lager in the coopers kit at the same time and its sitting on 18c. The yeast in the eskie is very active and the one in the fermenter is very quiet, the higher temp would be causing this wouldnt it? Your wxplaination of a mash is very simple and straight forward mate, you should right a blog about it :). Thanks for the advice.

Cheers Greg

G'day Pete, yep its a lager kit. Bacchus & Barley lager, with 50/50 malt, dex. I've seen the mash in an eskie but i was sure i saw a kit done in one lol. Oh well good to experiment like you say :lol: . The eskie is old but tottaly unused, ive had it sitting around. I just checked it and its sitting in 28c, probably to high? its quite cool here this week so im hoping over tonight and the next few days it might drop concideratly. I put a morgans lager in the coopers kit at the same time and its sitting on 18c. The yeast in the eskie is very active and the one in the fermenter is very quiet, the higher temp would be causing this wouldnt it? Your wxplaination of a mash is very simple and straight forward mate, you should right a blog about it :). Thanks for the advice.

Cheers Greg
It's just a basic explaination, there's a LOT more involved to AGing, and I'm still at the Noob end of it myself, just thought that the esky mash was what you saw.
There's a lot more guys around with a HELL of a lot more brewing experience than me, so any blog from me would cop a lot of laughs. So no thanks. happy to help where needed in nooby laymans terms without resorting to the scientific facts

Thanks anyway Pete :)

Quick question, Ive got one brew now at 24c and the other is at 16c. How long should i leave each in the fermenter? I usally leave it a day or so after fg but some have mentioned leaving it a week or so longer. Any advice anyone thanks.

Cheers Greg

Back