Equipment Help - First Keg Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walzo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Feel free to redirect me to a post or a page that will help me out but I've searched the forum and couldn't find the info I was after.

I'm looking to get into brewing using a keg system, it'll just be from kits.

I've brewed in bottles before and just want the convenience of kegs.

What I'm after is information on what brands/types I should be looking for in terms of quality.

Also, what I need - Keg, hoses, regulator...

I've got a bar fridge which I'm hoping will fit at least one, if not two 19l kegs but I might invest in a secondhand fridge or a chest freezer. I've heard harvey norman, when they're doing trade-ins, are a good source for old ones.

Cheers,

Walzo

Choosing the taps is probably the biggest hurdle, I use andale and love them, no drips and very bling.. Others go in for perlick flow control taps, these have the advantage of being able to reduce internal hose line length.. Also bling as..

Kegs, you can pick up second hand, just make sure they hold pressure, you'll need a decent regulator.

Get a 6lt gas bottles well, bigger is better.

There is a guide to setting up keg systems about the place somewhere

I think I can assist a little as I got into kegging in the last 9 months. Its bad timing in some ways as a lot of Aussie suppliers like KK have exhausted all US stocks of second hands kegs but Grain & Grape did have stock right b4 Xmas of good quality second hand US kegs (I bought 2). Steer clear of kegs from China. Otherwise you will have to wait for individuals who import a container full of second hand kegs and advertise on gumtree or ebay. Of course you can buy a brand new keg from KK for around $100 cash. I recommend a TESCO regulator but there is a ton of info in these forums about regulators. Use 5mm hose from KK. Others will have to assist from here.

Also - you will want all yr kegs to be the same i.e. all pin lock with a pressure relief valve in the lid, still holding pressure and hopefully comes with new seal kits. This will make it easier to fix future leaks / issues, being able to quickly swap over bits n pieces between kegs.

I'm using Krome dispense all stainless double tap font which came fitted with some quality beer lines cost about $130 dollars, keg king kegerator $450 and Keg King regulator $60, CMB disconnects $12 each and 2nd hand corny ball lock kegs, all with no issues so far.

Sorry, in Melbourne.

The only local places I know of are Grain and Grape and a little place in Greensborough close to work.

A few more questions...

Ball vs Pin Lock?

What do I need in the way of hoses? Obviously the hose itself, but are they the same hose for gas and liquid? Disconnects? Do i need anything else?

I think in the interest of keeping my wife happy I'll go with a cheap pluto gun to start with so I can justify buying a nice font later with a few taps on it.

I had a look at the regulators on the grain and grape and they had "micromatic" and "multi". I read somewhere micromatic was german and pretty good. I might go with that.

Also, gas, how long does it take to go through a 2.6 vs 6.8kg bottle?

Hey walzo,

I only just got into keg two months ago so I can understand your initial confusion.

I would definitely recommend watching 'introduction to kegging' by Craigtube on YouTube. It's a good beginners video because it explains it the different parts and the process which I found a lot easier to understand then reading.

I went ball valve as they already have manual pressure relief installed, however you may need to search around to find well priced ones these days.

If you have a spare or get pickup an old cheap fridge and own a drill you can make your keg fridge pretty easy, however you can get a kegerator which is basically all setup for you.

I just picked up two Perlick SS taps and shanks off ebay although kegking probably have just as good ones for the same price.

Otherwise I got everything else I needed ( apart from kegs and taps) from kegking. Also make sure you get non-return valve for your gas line!

I have a micromatic reg and have had no troubles, otherwise Harris is also good. I'd go ball lock fittings for your kegs as they seem a tad more common and original BL's have a smaller footprint than pin locks, though a little taller. Don't scrimp on disconnects as the cheap ones will negate the cost difference when they leak liquid or gas. That being said, 90% of my setup is from Kegking and haven't had any major issues yet. I use their cheap beer line for both gas and liquid but there are more expensive and flexible options from AHB retailers.

I'm not a kegger (so perhaps others can confirm), but in past postings on this subject people have said one of the best investments you can make is a one-way check valve on the gas line coming off the regulator. Not expensive and it can stop beer accidentally getting sucked back into the regulator and ruining it if you accidentally stuff up the pressures/set up.

Thanks guys, I'll check out the points raised.

Probably just best to get into it and stop trying to make the best decision and just make A decision.

Final question, can anyone recommend a good book/pdf guide. I've got a rough idea from previous experience but I should probably read up on the entire process before I jump in.

Ditchnbeer said:
Also - you will want all yr kegs to be the same i.e. all pin lock with a pressure relief valve in the lid, still holding pressure and hopefully comes with new seal kits. This will make it easier to fix future leaks / issues, being able to quickly swap over bits n pieces between kegs.
All good advice, but just to point out something, in my opinion, get all ball lock kegs. Pin locks are good, but disconnects can be hard to source and spare parts like posts are expensive. Also if you want to do a swap with someone, it will be highly likely they have ball lock kegs and your gear wont fit up. I know Ditchinbeer said 'i.e. all pin lock', but as you're new to it I thought I'd make that point.

Youtube and these forums is where i started "craigtube" has some kegging guides, I don't know of any written guides but its very easy to pick up from online vids. Force carbing and Cleaning the kegs is probably the hardest part and everyone does it differently, I dont bother pulling apart my posts etc but many do youll find what works for you.

good luck!

Ditchnbeer said:
I think I can assist a little as I got into kegging in the last 9 months. Its bad timing in some ways as a lot of Aussie suppliers like KK have exhausted all US stocks of second hands kegs but Grain & Grape did have stock right b4 Xmas of good quality second hand US kegs (I bought 2). Steer clear of kegs from China. Otherwise you will have to wait for individuals who import a container full of second hand kegs and advertise on gumtree or ebay. Of course you can buy a brand new keg from KK for around $100 cash. I recommend a TESCO regulator but there is a ton of info in these forums about regulators. Use 5mm hose from KK. Others will have to assist from here.
I would not recommend a tesuco regulator. Notoriously unreliable.

Get a Micromatic regulator instead.

Go with perlick forward sealing taps. This will prevent your beer going nasty in the tap between pours, which means nicer beer and no need to toss a half glass each session. I would go with stainless and flow controllers.

Consider JG connectors. then you can just connect everything together like lego. JG connectors are use in all parts of the food industry.

You can also get a JG check valve. Good advice to put one after your reg.

Use 5mm ID 8mm OD line. I use

Go ball lock. Every one else has, and it means you can share equipment with other keggers, so you can take kegs to someone else's house and use their keg fridge etc. of course if you don't think you'll ever do that...

Genuine Cornelius brand disconnects are the best, they have a metal pin and a rounded top. But they are harder to source.
Make sure your kegs are quality if they are not second hand ;)

Latest posts

Back