English Rye Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj1984

Reaction score
well after 5 or so months of not brewing im getting back into it and one of the beers planned is an English Rye IPA.

i have not used Rye befor but the recipe i have found and have made a couple changes to goes like this

80% pale malt
8% med crystal
12% malted rye

As for hops im going

EKG 40g 25 IBU (60min)
Styrian Goldings 40g 14 IBU (30 min)
Styrian Goldings 35g 4 IBU (5 min)

Now should i use MO or just normal base malt??
English yeast or just a yeast like 1056?

I brewed quite a bit recently with rye and used it in my last ESB.

I've made a rye AIPA but as yet haven't used rye in an english IPA.

My thoughts......

Halve the crystal. If you can, get your hands on some crystal rye.
Use MO and an english yeast.
Up the IBU to get a BU:GU close to 1.
Save me a bottle :beerbang:

cool sounds good, are you saying i should be using crystal rye and no malted rye or should i use crystal rye and normal rye

I'd second the use of 'specialty' rye of some sort.
I've rebrewed my Rye ESB recently and I didn't have any caramel rye to go with the standard rye this time.
The other specialty malts used between the two recipes remained the same.
The version isn't quite as good on the malt flavour as the previous version.
The beer lacks a little of the complexity and rounded flavour to go with the standard caramel flavours. It's hard to pinpoint exactly, it is just definitely missing a little complexity on the malt.

While this isn't perhaps as important in a more hop driven beer I think the crystal rye in conjunction with rye will bring an extra little dimension that using straight rye won't.

This could all be bs of course, that's just an opinion based on the two English style beers I've brewed using different combinations of rye.

Sounds good guys... have been looking for an excuse to open the bag of rye I've got, and think that this recipe might be the one to do it with.

When are you brewing this dj? Would be keen to hear how it goes.

Sounds good guys... have been looking for an excuse to open the bag of rye I've got, and think that this recipe might be the one to do it with.

When are you brewing this dj? Would be keen to hear how it goes.

Once the mill is motorised and after i brew some sort of bitter, im using 1469 and will pitch the ipa after the bitter

Rye is awesome, it gives a very good slight spicyness and sweet kind of charater. just be carfull if you get into the teens of %'s, it can get sticky, use a step mash to break the glucans or use rice hulls to help yourself from a long ass sparge.

At 12% rye you will be fine.

My last batch was 22% and no rice hulls needed and no step mash used.

Next rye adventure is a roggen so will need to use some rice hulls for that with >50% rye.

At 12% rye you will be fine.

My last batch was 22% and no rice hulls needed and no step mash used.

Next rye adventure is a roggen so will need to use some rice hulls for that with >50% rye.

My last 61% Roggen went fine with out the gulls, but that might have been pure luck as previously I'd always used gulls, just ran out and hadn't order some in time for this brew.

But yeah at ~12% you won't notice any difference in sparging at all.....

go the 100% rye! its fantastic, just a PITA to brew.

Wow you guys have had some good luck with rye, the first time we made our ripa at work with just 20% we had an 11 hour sparge, we just went home and started the boil the next a.m.

Wow you guys have had some good luck with rye, the first time we made our ripa at work with just 20% we had an 11 hour sparge, we just went home and started the boil the next a.m.
Drop that temp down and you'd be in for a Berlinner Rye.... v.nice. I must say that it really comes down to your individual set-up as far as the sparging goes. I rarely use less that 20% (which was for the Pils i tried once) and not really an issue until about >50%. Then it's just slow. 75% is the hard work threshold on my rig.

Drop that temp down and you'd be in for a Berlinner Rye.... v.nice. I must say that it really comes down to your individual set-up as far as the sparging goes. I rarely use less that 20% (which was for the Pils i tried once) and not really an issue until about >50%. Then it's just slow. 75% is the hard work threshold on my rig.

Out of interest, whats your setup Maple? False bottom?

Latest posts

Back