English Mild

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As with any beer thing, you really do need to go to the home of the style to understand it. If you drink M&B mild in Birmingham you will understand the style. Ansells mild was good until the eventual buy-out etc etc. My advice to all home brewers is that you cannot read stuff about styles from a bit of paper, you need to drink the styles where they originated. When I visited Dad's pub in Rugby back in 2013, I enjoyed the M&B Mild so much. When I returned in 2015 they (the brewery chain) had removed the hand-pumped Mild and replaced it with Coors Light - go figure.
Q What's this beer ?
A It's a Koelsch
Q Nice, have you been to Koeln ?
A Where's that ?
Q In Germany
A Oh really, that's interesting.

Blah blah blah

Thanks for that Edd will definitely be having another go at a mild and hopefully not as thin as my last one.:( If it is it will be a Sarah Hughes Mild next in the mild ale queue.
Hi Wide Eyed ,
I'd go for a northern strong mild , the Walker's XX recipe I've done comes out at 7%Abv @ 32 IBU on a 1.060° OG and the XXX @ 32 IBU, 1.063° OG and a whopping 8% !!.
I've got a few others such as Tetley's from 1844-1916 ,
Cheers
Edd

As with any beer thing, you really do need to go to the home of the style to understand it. If you drink M&B mild in Birmingham you will understand the style. Ansells mild was good until the eventual buy-out etc etc. My advice to all home brewers is that you cannot read stuff about styles from a bit of paper, you need to drink the styles where they originated. When I visited Dad's pub in Rugby back in 2013, I enjoyed the M&B Mild so much. When I returned in 2015 they (the brewery chain) had removed the hand-pumped Mild and replaced it with Coors Light - go figure.
Q What's this beer ?
A It's a Koelsch
Q Nice, have you been to Koeln ?
A Where's that ?
Q In Germany
A Oh really, that's interesting.

Blah blah blah
What is M&B? Would that be Mitchell & Butler's, they went out of business or taken over 50 something years ago.

What is M&B? Would that be Mitchell & Butler's, they went out of business or taken over 50 something years ago.
Hi Malt & Barley Blues ,
M & B merged with Bass of Burton on Trent in 1961 , and their brewery in Birmingham stopped production in 2002 , not managed to trace any of their records yet , but who knows eh ? ,
Cheers
Edd

Hi All ,
Here`s another Mild for you , a Best Ale recipe from Tennant Brothers in Sheffield , it`s from 1956 ,
Cheers & Happy Mashing
Edd

Attachments

• Tennant Bros Best Ale 1956_1956.pdf
    38 KB · Views: 79
Hi All ,
Here`s another Mild for you to have a look at ! , this one`s from Boddington`s Stangeways Brewery from 1901 ,
Cheers & Happy Mashing guys ,
Edd

Attachments

• BODDINGTON`S x 1901_1901.pdf
    37.4 KB · Views: 71
Have you ever made this one Edd, or have you used molasses in a beer? I have almost been tempted to put it in a stout but never been game.
Hi Wide Eyed ,
Never used it personally , but the Lyle's Black Treacle would be OK as well , as No 4 /5 invert is a Very dark sweet invert ,and difficult to buy direct ; with molasses & black treacle the nearest easy buy sub's I can think of , as the residuals in these would compliment a Mild beautifully ,
Cheers
Edd

Milds are not as common here in England as they used to be. They used to range in colour from blond through to black, but you rarely see the blond versions now. Mostly deep, dark red, and black. I drink them occasionally but don't brew them. They are malt forward beers, usually 3.5 to 4.5% these days, and I prefer the black versions which focus on chocolate malt rather than crystal and dark crystal, but a combination of crystal and chocolate is good. You need a yeast that has some character and doesn't attenuate too much. I'm not a fan of S04, and I wouldn't use it in a mild anyway, although you could. Wyeast 1187 and 1469 are probably good choices. If I used a dry yeast, probably Windsor or MJ Empire Ale. In a low ABV beer with little hop presence, you need the yeast to provide something. Here's a recipe from a reliable home brew writer, his recipes have worked well for me.

http://beerandwinejournal.com/stringbag-mild/

Last edited:
Back