English Mild/bitter Comments

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

thanks all of you for these valueable hints and explanations. I have made fabulous experiences with Wyeast strains but they`re too slow fermenting I would say. So I intend to switch over to dried yeasts, whereas I have made really good experiences with those from Fermentis.

SO-4 is a decent yeast and will give a good result. But an English liquid ale yeast (whichever -- they are all great) will take it to a whole new level.

I would second that but not long ago I`ve read somewhere in the i-net that this yeast is a Whitbread strain, so it would be comparable with the corresponding Wyeast strain 1099. Has anyone experienced this special Wyeast strain? I fear a bit the slight acidic taste which is described within the yeast profile...

Cheers
Michael

I have made fabulous experiences with Wyeast strains but they`re too slow fermenting I would say. So I intend to switch over to dried yeasts

There's no intrinsic reason liquid yeasts should be slower than dried yeasts. Dried yeast packets (say Fermentis) have more yeast cells than do Wyeast packs or White Labs vials. The dried yeast is also processed so that it's raring to go when it hits the wort while the packs slowly lose viability while they're stored. If you treat them right, the liquid yeasts can work very quickly and give great (personally I'm tending to think better) flavours. So, what did you do with your Wyeast packs? Did you make a starter? How old were they when you used them? (Not saying that dried yeast doesn't have a place, but don't give up on liquids either.)

Hi,

yes, I have always prepared a starter directly from the smack packs one week before brewing. I try to use them as fresh as possible. It works pretty well and I agree with that the liquid yeasts produce really great beer flavors! But even at 23C it lasts more than 9 days in average although I aerate my worts. Shortly ago I have had a sour mash because I have waiting too long at temps. of approx. 24C. Every brew I have started with rehydrated dry yeasts have been through after 4 days maximum. And what taste and flavor is concerned the beers turned out really well and satisfying. Absolutely comparable with the liquid yeasts from Wyeast which I have preferred.

9 days does sound too long for an average gravity wort. What size starter for what volume wort at what gravity? Are we talking lagers here or ales?

Yeah, you`re right, well, we are talking about Ales and a volume of 25 l not too much for a normal starter.

I have to disagree with that.

Milds, in particular, are quite difficult to brew

Fair enough comment on milds. I was really referring to bitters. I've made good milds, but they do need a lot more specialty malts (I use dark crystal, pale chocolate and brown malt) and more attention to the mash temp/attenuation balance.

But even then, if you get a good grain bill worked out and can control the mash temp, milds are not quantum mechanics: maybe just rocket science. ;)

But even then, if you get a good grain bill worked out and can control the mash temp, milds are not quantum mechanics: maybe just rocket science. ;)

One of the things I love about brewing is that when you start getting technical you have to draw on a range of sciences. However, this is the first time I've heard that ballistics/kinematics was a necessary skill. :) It just gets better and better.

T.

lol. don't know if I'd go as far as saying that milds are rocket science, they're just a bit....fiddley.

Latest posts

Back