Quantcast

Emergency Blowoff Help Needed

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

gorilla

Reaction score
I'm brewing a pretty hefty IPA (about 1.070 OG) in a 30 litre carboy fermenter. I came home today to find the brew sitting at 26 degrees, and crud bubbling through the airlock. I have cooled it down to about 23, but it continues to bubble. I have removed the airlock and replaced it a few times, but I think I'll need to use a blow off.

ANyone have any advice on using these? I only have my syphon tubing to use (about 1 cm diameter), so I hope it doesn't get blocked. It appears to just be foam bubbling through, so there's nothing too solid to get stuck.

Any help in this emergency would be fantastic.

Brizbrew

Reaction score
:beerbang: I thought I had logged on to the wrong type of chat room when I looked at the title of this thread. :p

I have had to resort to emergency counter measures myself and have used siphon hose with no problems, just push it through the grommit and trail it down in to a vessel of water, simple really.

muga

Reaction score
I put a wet towl over the top of mine till it has calmed down abit, then put the lid back on - had it happen twice and have never got an infection from doing it.. I now leave some more headspace in my fermenters to stop it from happening.

gorilla

Reaction score
:D Thanks for the help. I used the syphon tube with a big jug half filled with sanitiser on the other end. It seems to be doing better now.

I couldn't bring myself to use the wet towel option. I work in a lab, so I'm a bit of a fundamentalist about sanitation (I reckon it adds at least an hour to my brew days).

I just hope it doesn't blow during the night. The last thing I need is to be cleaning delicious IPA off the ceiling.

Latest posts