Emergency Blowoff Help Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorilla

Reaction score
I'm brewing a pretty hefty IPA (about 1.070 OG) in a 30 litre carboy fermenter. I came home today to find the brew sitting at 26 degrees, and crud bubbling through the airlock. I have cooled it down to about 23, but it continues to bubble. I have removed the airlock and replaced it a few times, but I think I'll need to use a blow off.

ANyone have any advice on using these? I only have my syphon tubing to use (about 1 cm diameter), so I hope it doesn't get blocked. It appears to just be foam bubbling through, so there's nothing too solid to get stuck.

Any help in this emergency would be fantastic.

:beerbang: I thought I had logged on to the wrong type of chat room when I looked at the title of this thread. :p

I have had to resort to emergency counter measures myself and have used siphon hose with no problems, just push it through the grommit and trail it down in to a vessel of water, simple really.

I put a wet towl over the top of mine till it has calmed down abit, then put the lid back on - had it happen twice and have never got an infection from doing it.. I now leave some more headspace in my fermenters to stop it from happening.

:D Thanks for the help. I used the syphon tube with a big jug half filled with sanitiser on the other end. It seems to be doing better now.

I couldn't bring myself to use the wet towel option. I work in a lab, so I'm a bit of a fundamentalist about sanitation (I reckon it adds at least an hour to my brew days).

I just hope it doesn't blow during the night. The last thing I need is to be cleaning delicious IPA off the ceiling.

Back