Ella & BB pilsner smash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta86

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a biab Ella smash, using BB pilsner malt to make a nice light refreshing summer ale.... But I need some help on quality and times using ella.....
I was thinking of.
4kg BB pilsner malt
40g ella - cube
40g ella - dry hop
Does this sound about right? Any advice would be amazing

I'm a big fan of FWH at the moment. I'd probably put a pinch in as soon as you lift the bag, say 5g?

What's the AA of Ella? What OG and IBUs are you aiming for? And finally what yeast were you thinking of?

Sorry guys... I didn't get a notification for your replies. og 1042 and around 23 ibu ella has 14% alpha. I'm currently brewing it so hopefully it turns out ok

Sorry Monsta (I just love your mash BTW)

Hadn't seen this thread before, but personally I tend to like about 30+ IBUs in pilsners, but I'm sure your's will be an absolute cracker. Ella is one of my faves these days.

Go well!

+1 for Ella. working my way through a bag of flowers and loving every batch. Great late.

don't be hesitant to go big 80-100g at flame out is my recomendation
(but that's for an ale so.. )

louistoo said:
+1 for Ella. working my way through a bag of flowers and loving every batch. Great late.

don't be hesitant to go big 80-100g at flame out is my recomendation
(but that's for an ale so.. )
I might up the dry hop a little but I'm looking to make it pretty smooth and light in taste and I don't have that much lol, I only bought a 90g bag

tj2204 said:
I'm a big fan of FWH at the moment. I'd probably put a pinch in as soon as you lift the bag, say 5g?
I decided to go a 5g bittering at 60min not fw. thank you for the advice though I was already tossing up on something similar

thought I would just tack onto this thread rather than start a new one. I'm thinking of doing a SMaSH with BB pilsner malt and trying out a new hop for me - Brooklyn. Seems like a nice fruity NZ hop. Craftbrewer describes it as follows:

Brooklyn is a big hop delivering high alpha acid with a generous weight of oil while its lower cohumulone provides a soft well-structured but solid bitterness. Sensory panels describe the flavours and aromas in the finished beer to be that of grapefruit, tropical and passionfruit.

It's 17% AA so I was considering a single 10 minute addition plus dry hop. thoughts?

Coodgee said:
thought I would just tack onto this thread rather than start a new one. I'm thinking of doing a SMaSH with BB pilsner malt and trying out a new hop for me - Brooklyn. Seems like a nice fruity NZ hop. Craftbrewer describes it as follows:

Brooklyn is a big hop delivering high alpha acid with a generous weight of oil while its lower cohumulone provides a soft well-structured but solid bitterness. Sensory panels describe the flavours and aromas in the finished beer to be that of grapefruit, tropical and passionfruit.

It's 17% AA so I was considering a single 10 minute addition plus dry hop. thoughts?
Brooklyn is fucken yummy!

Monsta86 said:
I decided to go a 5g bittering at 60min not fw. thank you for the advice though I was already tossing up on something similar
How did this brew turn out ? I have some Ella and am keen on using it.
I've had the Bridge road brewery Ella and I liked it so I'll give your recipe a go if it was successful.

Coodgee said:

Oh man, another hop to try? Too many...
Still, another descriptor that states "grapefruit tropical and passionfruit". The conspiracy to make me buy is working.

spog said:
How did this brew turn out ? I have some Ella and am keen on using it.
I've had the Bridge road brewery Ella and I liked it so I'll give your recipe a go if it was successful.
It turned out fantastic and was definitely a hit. the only thing I would change is uping the dry hop a little.
I've had the bridge road ella and that's what inspired me to use the hop by itself.

Latest posts

Back