Element Ac Hookup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juzz1981

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a kettle heating element but the brass contacts are corroded away so i was going to wire up directly to the element, not really sure how to as if i solder it; it might melt?

any suggestions.

or am i rooted and have to purchase a new element?

Hi,

I have a kettle heating element but the brass contacts are corroded away so i was going to wire up directly to the element, not really sure how to as if i solder it; it might melt?

any suggestions.

or am i rooted and have to purchase a new element?

A photo might help... But, it sounds rooted.

And no don't solder it.

Solder melting points vary between 118C to 310C depending on the mix.

I doubt it would be safe if any of the wires are in contact with water. Should pop the breaker before killing you though.

Solder melting points vary between 118C to 310C depending on the mix.

I doubt it would be safe if any of the wires are in contact with water. Should pop the breaker before killing you though.

Bit of a bummer if you do die though :lol:
Seriously, how much do you (or your family) value your life. Solder is not an alternative in this application.
Happy brewing :)

hmm, well i soldered the wire directly to the probes/terminals of a new el cheapo kettle element and made a new back plate for it, heatshrink wrapped it to finish - looks a lot better than a garden variety bucket of death. have used it several times now and it seems fine. am i likely to run into troubles?

I'm also using an RCD BTW - i do value my life :p

Hi,

Yes i will heatshrink it, the terminals are actually outside the bucket so they are dry anyway, only thing they could do is melt off and short and pop the breaker.

might use lead free solder... takes more heat to melt that

Get yourself one of these little puppies. $33.00, 3600W 240V screw in element. I bought one a while ago and have not lookes back.

Get yourself one of these little puppies. $33.00, 3600W 240V screw in element. I bought one a while ago and have not lookes back.
Hey Yeastie,
How did you connect the element? Doesn't seem to have a nut to secure on the inside of the kettle.
Thanks

you need to weld a 1" BSP socket to whatever it's getting mounted in.

probably no good for a plastic bucket though, might not have enough thread to put a nut on the inside.

Not sure yum, but I got the nickel alloy version in 3.6kw form for my hlt.

mike - I'll be soldering wires on the back of my element to a new plug as well. These components get hot, but not hot enough to melt the solder. Perhaps Rob and Tropical though the Op wanted to solder the element itself rather than the power connectors?

yeah i figure as much.

Juzz, is this just a standard element from a ~$10 chinese made kettle? if so, if it looks a tad dodgey why not just get a new one? the price and hence expendability has to be the best thing about them.

EDIT:
also, FYI - my HLT
mg9607.jpg

yeah i figure as much.

Juzz, is this just a standard element from a ~$10 chinese made kettle? if so, if it looks a tad dodgey why not just get a new one? the price and hence expendability has to be the best thing about them.

EDIT:
also, FYI - my HLT
mg9607.jpg
Looks great - and not trying to be the bearer of bad news but I'd be looking to replace that helical with silicon hose...

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...68&hl=funky

Circuit Breakers protect wires. Earth Leakage Core Balance Relays / Residual Current Devices (depending on which school you went to) protect people. If you don't have one of the latter protecting everything in your brewery, you are being excessively cavalier.

Many cheap kettles - such as one I bought at KMart - have a pin arrangement that reflects a computer power supply power lead. No Soldering. If you sandwich some sort of plastic enclosure into the mix, you can have yourself a safer-than-it-otherwise-would-be construction. And you can use the time you saved not having to solder to wander down to a hardware store and buy a plug-in RCD thingy... ;)

yeah i figure as much.

EDIT:
also, FYI - my HLT
mg9607.jpg

Speaking of "dodgey" why is there no earth?
Once again, electricians are licensed for a reason, peoples lives are at stake.

Back