Element Ac Hookup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably as the element only had the active and neutral wires. Speaking of electricians - they seem to be licensed to print money considering how much is cost to put in a new breaker and GPO in the shed. Bloke was there for 30mins max and the gear cost about $50 and charged $320. Starting to charge as much as lawyers....

Probably as the element only had the active and neutral wires. Speaking of electricians - they seem to be licensed to print money considering how much is cost to put in a new breaker and GPO in the shed. Bloke was there for 30mins max and the gear cost about $50 and charged $320. Starting to charge as much as lawyers....

Yeah it was probably out of a plastic kettle, still doesn't excuse it from being earthed now it is in a metal pot, if there was a insulation failure in the element the pot would become live and with no path to earth, touch it and your fried!
As for the cost of a new GPO, was it for your brewery? worth every cent!! ;)

Yep it was for the brewery so all good, just wish I had some sparky mates that would do it for a couple of beers and cost of the gear.

The 3.6kw element I've got for the HLT doesn't have a earth plug, but I'll be wiring an earth to the back of the element and enclosure to be sure.

Hey Yeastie,
How did you connect the element? Doesn't seem to have a nut to secure on the inside of the kettle.
Thanks

I just drilled a hole the same outside diametre as the threaded part of the element. Then just slide in the element and secure with the rubber washer provided and a 1" BSP nut available at the big green shed etc.
I have now done from memory 8 x 1hr+ boils & 8 x 1/2hr boils with zero leaks whatsoever.
Have a close look at the inside of the pot and you'll see the big 'ol nut. The 4 other small bolts just hold the cover on.

YB.

EDIT: +1 for getiing the sparky to wire it if you enjoy brewing and want to do more brewing...

SDC11398.JPG

FFS, this debate again...

I'd be a lot more concerned about the electrical side of things, long before the helical/silicone hose bollocks again.

(link broken too)

Leary

Oh goody, both of my favourite topics conveniently arranged in a single thread, home wiring and PVC tubing! Cue action...

Oh goody, both of my favourite topics conveniently arranged in a single thread, home wiring and PVC tubing! Cue action...

Looking forward to it myself, where's the popcorn!! :beer:

Perhaps we could be geeky and run with the advantages and disadvagtages of PVC coated elec wire??

Leary

ALWAYS connect an earth unless the appliance is double insulated, and 320 for a CB and GPO.. hahaha .. electricians... no wonder people do it themselves... though people really need to have a little electical knowledge :)

Latest posts

Back