Electricity usage of fridge for temp control

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi

Just got a bar fridge that fits fermenter in, with some modifications. Just wondering about usage of electricity. If it has to turn it on and off every 1/2 or hour won't that use a lot. Not sure never done... As I am writing this I am thinking maybe not as much as normal fridge but if you have controller running too? I Thanks

The fridge will be OFF for a lot longer that you surmise, it will turn ON for a few minutes every few hours at the highpoint of fermentation.

Thanks, it was just that I understand a fridge uses most of the power in the beginning getting to temp, but I guess it will be same as normal fridge only at 18 degrees..

Thanks, it was just that I understand a fridge uses most of the power in the beginning getting to temp, but I guess it will be same as normal fridge only at 18 degrees..
A normal fridge in normal operation as you correctly state uses a bit of energy initially as it cools to its setpoint because it has to cool a lot of mass to this temp. as a fermenter it only has to cool the mass back to a lot higher setpoint. Additionally the greater the difference between the ambient temp and the setpoint the more energy needed.

Latest posts

Back