Electric Urn 40l

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Did a search on Urns but didn't come up with anything. I'm going AG in December and getting a 40L SS electric urn as the workhorse.
Does anyone know of suppliers in Brisbane or the Coasts, or mail order?

Just sorting out a list of suppliers at the moment as I won't be ready to go till December. Any urn owners on the forum, where did you get it and how much? I believe I should be looking at 3000 kw or above for boiling purposes.

Does anyone use it for mashing and how well does the temperature hold?

I 've got a Crown 40 litre urn.
Look at ebay.
Birko does them too.
If you can score one off a catering service or ebay you'll save a bonza.

They are about $300 barnd new

G&G have urns too $235 30L

As a HLT bewdiful.
matti

Same here. I got mine at Andale in Brisbane for $280 a year ago

Cheers,

Jim

I didn't see the price but my local Harvey Norman store had some when i was in there today. I would imagine that they would be fairly expensive through Harvey Norman though.

I got my 30l on ebay, was $199 plus postage of about $30.

I was looking at getting a 40l urn and was just wondering if you guys have ones with concealed elements, or if it even makes any difference?

Cheers

wow 3000kw would get the wort boiling fast :lol:

I was looking at getting a 40l urn and was just wondering if you guys have ones with concealed elements, or if it even makes any difference?
I reckon it would be less efficient if the element was concealed. My 30L Roband just has the element sitting in the bottom. It tends to get a bit of crap stuck to it after a brew, but nothing too bad.

I reckon it would be less efficient if the element was concealed. My 30L Roband just has the element sitting in the bottom. It tends to get a bit of crap stuck to it after a brew, but nothing too bad.

Is it hard to clean?

Am i right in thinking a 40Litre urn could only heat enough water for 16KG Grain max? 40Litres divde by 2.5Litres/Per KG Grain at the absolute mimuin? = 16 and say if you mashed at 3.:1 it would be 40 divde by 3 = 13.3KG?

Am i right in thinking a 40Litre urn could only heat enough water for 16KG Grain max? 40Litres divde by 2.5Litres/Per KG Grain at the absolute mimuin? = 16 and say if you mashed at 3.:1 it would be 40 divde by 3 = 13.3KG?

16KG of grain? What size you brewing Fents?

Batz

Is it hard to clean?
Not particularly. I just wipe with a cloth to get most of it off, then boil a bit of water (just enough to cover the element) and that seems to get the rest off pretty well.

Well... a 40L urn can only heat 40L of water at a time... hence it is called a 40L urn. ;)

I usually top mine up with some extra (cold) water after mashing in and it gets up to sparge temperature easily by the time I need it. My 30L urn can hold just over 31L before it reaches the top hole for the sight glass and starts making a mess.

For those (thinking of) using a 40L urn, are you just using a 2.4kW element or going for a 3.6kW (15A socket needed)? My 30L urn gets a good rolling boil (nothing overly vigorous) going with the 2.4kW element, so I was wondering how well it would go with 40L.

Are you referring to use as a HWT or to actually mash in it?

If just using as a mash tun then it should easily handle a normal mash with five or six kilos of grain, or ten to twelve for a double batch.

As a HWT you would be right in your calcs.

BTW I've sourced some Birko 40 L at less than $300 in Brisbane so hoping they will still be available next month :icon_cheers:

For those (thinking of) using a 40L urn, are you just using a 2.4kW element or going for a 3.6kW (15A socket needed)?

I see from their website that the one I am interested in is 15A - not being electrically literate I didn't take much notice: does that mean that if I plug it into the normal socket in the garage it will fry the domestic fuse?? :eek:

I see from their website that the one I am interested in is 15A - not being electrically literate I didn't take much notice: does that mean that if I plug it into the normal socket in the garage it will fry the domestic fuse?? :eek:
You'll need a 15A socket... it has a bigger earth pin than the standard ones. If you've got an in-wall air conditioner it probably has one.

I've heard of dodgy cables being made up to allow you to use a 15A device on a 10A circuit, but personally I wouldn't be doing that. If you don't have an appropriate outlet, you'll need to get a sparky in to install one.

I have one of these as my HLT ( Link ) I know your after 40L or so but the idea is sound and cheap to boot.

I have one of these as my HLT ( Link ) I know your after 40L or so but the idea is sound and cheap to boot.

Thanks Tao, for chucking the cat amongst the pigeons :lol:

As you own one of these, do you reckon it could be used as a kettle to boil enough wort to give 20 L of slightly over gravity product that could be diluted prior to fermentation? I see it doesn't have a thermostat but according to manufacturer it can be adapted. The element could certainly handle a rolling boil based on urns I have looked at.

OK thanks for the advice guys, this is what I've decided:

Reason I wanted 40L was (as mentioned on another thread) to do BIAB in an electric urn. They assure me that this is practical. However this now means I will have to get a sparky in to fit a 15 amp socket and before I know it I'll be up for a couple of hundred extra.......

I can source a 30L for about $250, a mash tun esky with tap from bunnings, get a false bottom and other gear from Ross and do 2 - vessel brewing instead of BIAB. so that's what I'll do.

The plastic boiler looks great and I might actually get one in due course for sparge water so I can be sparging and heating the kettle at the same time, but I note that the thermostat is over $100 so it would bring the deal up to around the same as the stainless steel urn, so that idea is out for kettling.

Glad to be on the forum, without all the valuable advice I could have seen myself in a few weeks with a shiny new 40L urn with the electric plug in my hand saying "WTFFFFFF?????? :huh: "

Great work guys
Cheers
Michael

The 15amp model is not essential in my opinion BribieG, I use a 40lt urn (2400 watt) for my HLT and it would be able to boil wort no probs.

Back