Elderflower In Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzla

Reaction score
Hi, I love the flavour of elderflower, Has anyone tried using it in a brew ? I'm inclined think as in dry "hopping" some flowers would impart a flavour without sweetness. would I be right or maybe beer and elderflower don't go together I don't know. If anyone has tried it or has an opinion could they let me know.

Cheers Tom

Don't know if anyone's already tried it, but the thing I'd be worried about is are they likely to be a source of infection. How are you going to guarantee that your elderflowers don't have any nasties on them? If it were me I wouldn't dry hop with them but maybe add them as like 5 minute addition. At least then you're giving the boiling wort a chance to kill anything that might be hiding in your flowers.

Tom are you in Australia? If so, where does one get fresh elder flowers and elderberries from in Aus?
Google Elderflower champagne, there are all sorts of brews it is used in. Beer, I do not know about.

I'm in WA Perth Hills, The wife has some growing that are starting to flower, They produce flowers every year. Don't know if they are the right ones though as the flowers don't smell at all, just tried to steep some to see if that brings out anything - not looking good after 5 minutes. Maybe I can find some dried ones somewhere. Good quality cordial probably has fermentable sugar, elderflower and not much else in it so a bit of that in the brew might work

Shedloads here in Toowoomba, my 5yo Elderberry is flowering like mad. Trouble is Ma keeps lobbing around and knocking the flowers off for Elderflower wine. Knew I should've refused when she came around looking for a fermenter and stuff! :angry:
Rizzla, I think the subtle flavours amd aromas develop later, at least that was my understanding, the fresh flowers aren't much to write home about so persist is my advice.

I'm interested to see what sort of recipes you find and how they turn out, as I've had a few heather ales and they were pretty good.
Not sure if the heather ales use flowers or leaves though.

I have the book 'Sacred Herbal and Healing Ales'. It's not with me at the moment, but from memory it has a few elderflower/berry ales in it.
I'll post some details tomorrow.

doesnt the digestive system convert elderflower into cyanide? if it does, be careful.....hahaha probebly not that bad, i've noticed they chuck it into rekorderlig cider

Elderberry jam is the most sublime! Deep ruby red and is the most perfect thing to go with roast duck. Tiny berries are a PITA but oh so wonderful syrup style jam!

Latest posts

Back