Elbow Piece For Kettle Pickup?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or u use tge elbow on the under side and make a bottom draining mlt. No wastage. I love mine
I spent a while trying to find the a tge elbow was. But im guessing you ment 'the'? Thats the route I plan to take with my MT, however for the kettle I want to avoid any type of sink hole effects where it would draw lots of trub in. I am still expecting kettle loss after all.
Thanks.

I spent a while trying to find the a tge elbow was. But im guessing you ment 'the'? Thats the route I plan to take with my MT, however for the kettle I want to avoid any type of sink hole effects where it would draw lots of trub in. I am still expecting kettle loss after all.
Thanks.
sorry mate i read the post on the phone. i didnt see kettle. yeah kettle you want a side pickup for sure for the reasons you outlined

I totally derailed a thread a few weeks ago with mention of my kettle pickup, so here it is again. Especially good since you mentioned you're anal about trub transfer.

Exactly the same as a mash tun. Here's a couple of shitty pics.
593f0a96.jpg

7e98f41a.jpg

I modified the pickup so that there is a threaded rod going through the false bottom almost touching the floor of the kettle. This way I lose very little by way of kettle loss.

It's best to use a plug or 2 of hop leaf to act as a filter bed before the perf. Once drained there is a big pile of hop and break material on the falsy and the exposed base of the kettle is pretty much dry. Before setting up the 70L kettle I used to use an 80L keggle with side pickup and could lose 2-3L.

I will probably go with the second one, locknut and hopefully fit through with a ball valve on the other end. Are you saying that this method, or the tube bent around method is better for whirl pooling and draining?

I doubt the thread will go deep enough into you ball valve but could be wrong.

I have only used the elbow F to F in my last to kettle and it was great for whirl pooling... I even got high nines and a 10 in the 'rate my trub' :D

I now use a bent around pick up tube but the new kettle has 3 element sticking into it which makes whirlpooling a little harder, still ok but nothing like the elbow.

qldkev also rates high 9's, check what he is using if whirlpooling is of importance.. and Thirsty drains his kettle to with a few ml, so check out what he does if losses is more important.

2c.

TB's here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=889007

QK's 9.8 here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...howtopic=63425#

Cheers

You have a 1/2'" thread inside your kettle? let me know I'll send you a SS set up for nix.

batz

I doubt the thread will go deep enough into you ball valve but could be wrong.

I have only used the elbow F to F in my last to kettle and it was great for whirl pooling... I even got high nines and a 10 in the 'rate my trub' :D

I now use a bent around pick up tube but the new kettle has 3 element sticking into it which makes whirlpooling a little harder, still ok but nothing like the elbow.

qldkev also rates high 9's, check what he is using if whirlpooling is of importance.. and Thirsty drains his kettle to with a few ml, so check out what he does if losses is more important.

2c.

TB's here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=889007

QK's 9.8 here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...howtopic=63425#

Cheers
Thanks! The wealth of information on this site never ceases to amaze me. On my MT I've got the thread from a hose nipple, then a washer and on the other side a ball valve. Not the greatest connection but it works haha.

Holy shizen. Those pickups are epic. I'd say it also has alot to do with the nice tight trub cone in the middle too. I don't seem to achieve that when I attempt.

You have a 1/2'" thread inside your kettle? let me know I'll send you a SS set up for nix.

batz
I have nothing on the kettle yet, shes still virgin! I'm hoping to go down the most effective route. I'll PM you.

Latest posts

Back