Ekg In English Pales

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back Yard Brewer

I HAVE A WIFE THAT UNDERSTANDS
Reaction score
Looking at making an English Pale this Saturday and I want to burn up some EKG that I have. Anyone made a good English with just EKG ? I have a little Progress and Target that can be used for bittering. Have got some London Ale III (1318). I want to use Marris Otter for a base, also have an array of specialty kicking around.

BYB

Hey BYB,

I did an English Pale ale a while back with all EKG and it was great. It was actually an adaptation of one of the Beersmith sample recipes.

Off the top of my head it was something like:

94% JW Ale
6% JW Dark Crystal
50g EKG First wort Hopped (60mins)
30g EKG @ 15mins

You can obviously tweak the late additions a bit to get more hop flavour. Really was one of my favourite brews. I plan to brew it again very shortly.

I'm going to do Tony's EKG bitter next brew. It looks tasty and even a 25 L batch will still use over 100g of EKG (if thats what you're after)

Edit: Just noticed you want a maris otter base, but that should still produce a tasty beer ;)

Well, as it is the classic hop for an English ale, you can't go wrong.

95% Maris Otter
5% crystal
Bitter to about 30IBU with EKG
About 30g EKG at flame-out
Ferment with your English yeast of choice

Within two weeks you'll be drinking God's own nectar.

You can't beat that.

Many a good english brewery uses 100%EKG. I personally find that the single hop works best in beers where you want to showcase the malt character a little more, without the hop complexity getting too much in the way, say around the 60%BUGU mark.

Nothing is better than an all EKG beer, while mine isn't strictly a Pale Ale I'll still throw it in for good measure.
I usually have this beer on tap and is my house ale.
Bosuns Best Bitter

Cheers
Andrew

Looking at making an English Pale this Saturday and I want to burn up some EKG that I have. Anyone made a good English with just EKG ? I have a little Progress and Target that can be used for bittering. Have got some London Ale III (1318). I want to use Marris Otter for a base, also have an array of specialty kicking around.

BYB

The Dark Mild in the case swap was EKG all the way thru with a single plug of styrians in the keg.

i recently made and then drank in near record time a simple english pale that used williamette (a well known sub for EKG).

Its was 90% ale, 5% crystal, 5% wheat. 35 IBUs (1g/L at 20, 1g/L at 5). With the abundance of EKG i also have this will at the pointy end of the to do list when i pick up some MO today. Used wyeast 1028, next stop is 1968.

Simple, clean pommy ales are the go BYB. I still have a few bottles left if you want to drop in and taste it!

I have a dark ale on tap with all fuggles if you want hints on how to use up that hop :p

I have a dark ale on tap with all fuggles if you want hints on how to use up that hop :p

Point taken. May be in contact shortly ;) That post may of come later.

As for the recipe advice, looks like a toss up between Tony & AndrewQLD

BYB

Latest posts

Back