Efficiency Issues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since enrolling in recent bulk grain buys, the Mrs has now agreed to assist me in milling the grain.

grain_pounding.jpg

I'd be carefull if someone asks to borrow you mill then Bribie....... :eek:

Muckey,

I think 78% is appalling... really, come on dude!!

Blenders sure - if your a beginner and have no idea about the real method!!

Get yourself a metal drum, similar to a 20L Ice-cream or oil drum. Load your whipper snipper with 2mm cord...

I think you can see where this is going... I have been using the 'whipper snipper method' for the last 17 years with out a fault. I have been averaging about 120-130% efficiency, which to be honest I reckon I can still get better!!

My curtains, doona, dog beds and all my socks are made from award sash's!!

I would strongly recommend something between 15-30 cc 2 stroke but you will find what works best for you...

Ok, the baton has been passed... enjoy those awards!!

Muckey,

I think 78% is appalling... really, come on dude!!

Blenders sure - if your a beginner and have no idea about the real method!!

Get yourself a metal drum, similar to a 20L Ice-cream or oil drum. Load your whipper snipper with 2mm cord...

I think you can see where this is going... I have been using the 'whipper snipper method' for the last 17 years with out a fault. I have been averaging about 120-130% efficiency, which to be honest I reckon I can still get better!!

My curtains, doona, dog beds and all my socks are made from award sash's!!

I would strongly recommend something between 15-30 cc 2 stroke but you will find what works best for you...

Ok, the baton has been passed... enjoy those awards!!

couple of issues with the method.....
I have a whipper snipper but am experiencing some difficulties find ing a drum
Mum has one of those blower/vac thingos and I was wondering if I could use that in place of the whipper snipper and drum or would it be similar to a food processor

:icon_offtopic:

I'm planning on making seat covers for my car out of all the sashes

couple of issues with the method.....
I have a whipper snipper but am experiencing some difficulties find ing a drum
Mum has one of those blower/vac thingos and I was wondering if I could use that in place of the whipper snipper and drum or would it be similar to a food processor

:icon_offtopic:

I'm planning on making seat covers for my car out of all the sashes

I am sure a blower/vac would do a great job but a the whipper snipper/ drum method is really the business...

I am aiming to get my efficiency to the point where I don't need any grain at all!!

I see 2 main issues here;

You should crack each grain by hand using a hammer and screwdriver!!!
Don't forget if you pressurise the mash tun you can mash at 110c to get all the sugars converted and extracted...

QldKev

Don't crush the grains at all. No tannin extraction problems ever with that method.
Do a 24 hour mash, starting with 100C water, at a 6 to1 ratio.
Next day, heat the whole mash up to mashout temperature.
Oh boy, you should see how fast I can drain and sparge this lot.
And it makes a perfect Cerveza or US Bud beer.

In Cambodia they've got the perfect crush method. Put your grains out on a major highway then wait 4 hours. Then stop all the traffic with a herd of water buffalo and six small children with dried fish and warm beer on a plate on their heads. Shovel up said grains then you will have a grain bill so perfectly crushed you will easily achieve 173.47%. What you do with the ribbons and sashes and medallions are up to you...

In Cambodia they've got the perfect crush method. Put your grains out on a major highway then wait 4 hours. Then stop all the traffic with a herd of water buffalo and six small children with dried fish and warm beer on a plate on their heads. Shovel up said grains then you will have a grain bill so perfectly crushed you will easily achieve 173.47%. What you do with the ribbons and sashes and medallions are up to you...

Way to push the esters!!! and there'll probably be enough yeast in there already soo that If I reserve some of the liquor from the mash and add it to the fermenter I wont have to waste my precious yeast stocks.

If I ferment this at around 30 - 35 degress.....

Barnyard Lager here we come!!! :lol:

Back