Efficiency Issues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muckey

Where's my Beer?
Reaction score
Given the recent discussion about Margas, I have borrowed Butter's Marga, and found that it only took 12 minutes to mill the grain for a 46L batch, and I ended up with a dismal 78% efficiency.....

My question is, given recent discussion, would I be better off using a food processor? Would this turn my excellent beer into award winning beer? Or would it just qualify me for the 'douche of the universe' award???

Please help me, as my beer is too drinkable.

You may need to change over to the food processor, because apparantly, the papiloma (sp?) virus is sexually transmited....and that could cause all kinds of problems with the marga....

I agree nothing dismal about 78%, I have been using a marga for 6-7 years. food processor would break up your husks.

Just wanted to get my beer over the line so that If I can get an award, I'll get the sash and everything.

Thought the food processor would help with this given what I've read recently

I doubt a food processor will help. You need a crush, while a food processor will chop the grain, which certainly will not help at all with efficiency.

This thread has gone straight over my head. Me no understand.

This thread has gone straight over my head. Me no understand.

the OP expressed frustration at getting 'only' 78% efficiency in his brews, and asked whether using a foodprocessor will get better efficiency and make award winning beers. Here's a more ordered answer-

1- 78% is not a bad efficiency. Most home brew programs assume an efficiency of 75% in their default calculations, so that's nothing to worry about.

2- When you crush your grain, that's what's happening- the grain is being crushed. If you chop the grain up, then the enzymes will not find its way to the starches because the grain hasn't been crushed.

3- Winning awards has little to do with efficiency. It's to do with having a good recipe, and a good process. Having reasonable efficiency is nice, but what if your efficiency is too high and there's too much malt in your beer?

I think your missing something peas and corn, so did I when I posted above, this is a humor and jokes topic.

Any pro brewer will tell you, the only way to make award winning beer is to crush the grain by hand with a mortar and pestle.

A real hand crafted brew, where every grain is crushed perfectly. You should easily achieve 95% efficiency using this method.

Try a lambic, use the wild yeast that breeds under your toe nails after 2 weeks without a shower....

Any pro brewer will tell you, the only way to make award winning beer is to crush the grain by hand with a mortar and pestle.

A real hand crafted brew, where every grain is crushed perfectly. You should easily achieve 95% efficiency using this method.

Try a lambic, use the wild yeast that breeds under your toe nails after 2 weeks without a shower....

woohoo mortar and pestle here we come!!

1 grain at a time for the perfect crush :eek:

sorry fellas, after reading some comments re marga mills and food processors I couldn't resist a stir

Yes, but surely it would be even better if the grain was milled in a food processor?? Quite possibly, it would be award winning?

Funny man butters,

When you religiously get 68% efficiency then you have somethign to complain about (me). <_<

However, since upgrading my airlock my attenutation is always 75%+!!!! :lol:

Screw cracking/crushing grain. Get the can opener out and crack a tinny of goo and a bag of SUGAZ. Almost 100% efficiency every time!

Screw cracking/crushing grain. Get the can opener out and crack a tinny of goo and a bag of SUGAZ. Almost 100% efficiency every time!

No, blenders are better....because then you can wear a super spiffy lab coat, and pretend that you're a (real) doctor... :ph34r:
blend.gif

I don't know anyone called Marga, but is she good looking ???

Back