Effects Of Old Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nabs478

Reaction score
G'day,

I have been making some pale ales with various hop strains, mainly cascade, amarillo and nelson sauvin. Recently I have been having trouble getting the same bold fruity, floral hop flavour out of the hops. Instead I seem to be getting a more grassy kind of flavour which, for me, is much less desirable. I used to drop about 2g/L of hops in the last minute or so of the boil when brewing a pale. The last two brews I have done I have used slightly less, about 1.5g/L, but of the same type of hops and very similar recipes.

I have read somewhere on here that using old hops can introduce off flavours in beers. I would not place the flavours I have encountered in the 'off' basket, but they are ceretainly not exactly what I am after - grassy is a fairly good description. Some of the hops I have re quite old, perhaps about a little over a year for the oldest ones. They have been kept in plastic bags in the freezer. The bags have been open and I usually twist the tops or roll it up and place it down so it doesnt unravel. I am concerned that they are just old and no longer any good. What do you guys think?

I am also interested with peoples views on the consistancy of any type of hops. For example whether they find the flavour and the strength of flavour the same from cascade hops they buy at different times or from different suppliers?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back