• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Ebay, Gumtree and FB Marketplace

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zorsoc_cosdog said:
as above, they seem to have ~±1.5°C spread.
I have bought 3 and they read similar but different temps, so i ended up having no idea what my mash temps were - was it 60°C or 63°C?!?. If i was mashing ~66°C it didn't matter so much, but if i was trying to hit, say, 55, 64, 72 or 78°C (common mash steps for me) then the potential temps i might've actually been hitting could've provided significantly different results.

As an early starting point, and especially if you're just doing one or 2 mash steps, then they're kinda not too bad for something so cheap. I don't begrudge buying them.
But i can tell you, at the discounted price of those "marked" thermapens they are a much much better investment. I'd strongly advise getting one, or something of equal/better quality as soon as it's affordable.

Temperature is one of the most important variables in our brewing processes. So we need to ensure our measurement of it is as accurate as possible.

technobabble66 said:
Temperature is one of the most important variables in our brewing processes. So we need to ensure our measurement of it is as accurate as possible.
On board with you. And everyone here. I just bought three so I can do some home science with the kids. It will be interesting to see how well they correlate with my best thermometers here but I'm not aiming to be impressed.

I don't even use hand thermometers anymore come to think about it.....

The thermapen jibe was tongue in cheek; I still want to buy a reference thermometer one day...

I was actually impressed (or very lucky) with the Aldi thermometers. I ended up buying one and liked it for BBQ. When they were on sale again a year later, I bought two more. Gifted one to the brother in law and kept the other one. They both read within 0.1C of each other and agree with the mercury and alcohol lab thermometers I have. From my testing, they seem to be accurate in the range from near freezing to near boiling, but most importantly they seem to be good in the 10-30 range as well as 50-70 range. They are reasonably speedy, initial reading within a second or two and then a bit of change (fractions of a degree) over the next three to five seconds until it stabilises completely.

I guess price wise they sit somewhere between the cheap eBay jobbies and Thermapens. From memory they were somewhere in the $10-15 range.

image.jpeg

DU99 said:
be interesting to see what Brew stores are in on the deal
based on the categories, plenty as they often list under areas like 'Home and Garden'

Cheaper is right! We use both the Kogan-type ones and the Bunnings ones in our daycare, and the Bunnings ones are significantly less durable and cheaper quality. We got the Kogan-ish ones on eBay for a better price. I'll see whether I can find the seller.

So, from my experience, I would recommend spending a bit more and getting better quality ones than the Bunnings ones.

Agreed the Bunnings ones are shite
I use 2 taped together under my weights for my home gym and they compress down to nothing
a mate uses 2 from Clarke Rubber taped together and they only just compress, I'll be grabbing some of them next time I head over to Newcastle

Back