• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Ebay, Gumtree and FB Marketplace

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stills as such are not illegal. They can quite legally be used for purification of water, essential oils etc.

Using them to make spirits however is illegal.

Stills as such are not illegal. They can quite legally be used for purification of water, essential oils etc.

My understanding was only 5L ones are ok, 25L as advertised, were not allowed to be used in Australia.
(I could be wrong thou)

QldKev

My understanding was only 5L ones are ok, 25L as advertised, were not allowed to be used in Australia.
(I could be wrong thou)

QldKev

Your probably right, I didnt see the big ones in his store untill you mentioned it!

He's also advertising them as alcohol stills rather than just stills.

He's also advertising them as alcohol stills rather than just stills.

The backdrop in the shop makes it look like its Cooperage at Smithfield Sydney?
If so, they are damn good prices for him. He's one expensive retailer normally.

Not quite.

Although stills aren't illegal, they are regulated for any capacity of greater than five litres. You cannot own such a still without getting permission from the Tax Office, as they control alcohol excise. As clueless mentioned above, you can have a still if it is 5 litres or less, and is not used to produce spirits, ethyl alcohol or ethanol. You can use it to produce essential oils, water, methanol, propenol, isopropenol and butanol.

The distillation of any alcohol without being licensed and paying the relevant excise (about $71 per litre of alcohol) will lead to the ATO beating a path to your door, and entering a world where what you earn suddenly becomes of increased interest to a group of forensic accountants and a small team of salaried lawyers.

More info here http://www.ato.gov.au/print.asp?doc=/content/66216.htm

Not quite.

Although stills aren't illegal, they are regulated for any capacity of greater than five litres. You cannot own such a still without getting permission from the Tax Office, as they control alcohol excise. As clueless mentioned above, you can have a still if it is 5 litres or less, and is not used to produce spirits, ethyl alcohol or ethanol. You can use it to produce essential oils, water, methanol, propenol, isopropenol and butanol.

The distillation of any alcohol without being licensed and paying the relevant excise (about $71 per litre of alcohol) will lead to the ATO beating a path to your door, and entering a world where what you earn suddenly becomes of increased interest to a group of forensic accountants and a small team of salaried lawyers.

More info here http://www.ato.gov.au/print.asp?doc=/content/66216.htm
OMFG an informative post on the subject. I know who u work for ;)
Please drop the conversation as it's banned under AHB T&C.

Great info

OMFG an informative post on the subject. I know who u work for ;)
Please drop the conversation as it's banned under AHB T&C.

Great info
talking about illegally using stills for alcohol is banned, discussing the legalities of still in general wasn't as far as i was aware...

The backdrop in the shop makes it look like its Cooperage at Smithfield Sydney?

Had to have a 2nd look & I agree. Reckon they could use some online sales, never seems to be anyone else there on the rare occasion I have to drop in.

Back