Easy Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killer Brew

Reaction score
I am about to bottle my first brew and am looking for my next project. I really like the idea of a Saison to drink late summer but couldn't find a simple recipe in the data base. I did however find the following on the Cooper's website. I know it isn't particularly traditional but what do others think and what can I tweak to improve it (eg. different brand cans, different hops)? Also a hop schedule as the recipe I looked at added them all at once.

1.7kg Australian Pale Ale
1.7kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Beer
500g Coopers Light Dry Malt
25g Saaz Hops
11g Belle Saison Yeast

Thanks, Killer

I'm fermenting my second saison ATM I used a can of coopers original lager 1kg of DWME, a kilo of dex and saison yeast that's been sitting in the fridge for six months, I did a 10 min hop tea with 15g saaz and 15 grams of hallautau and will dry hop the same amount. These were all ingredient I wanted to use before they went out of date so not expecting much but I'm hoping it turns out better than my first saison which had citra and Amarillo which was a liitle harsh for my liking,

Mate, it's all about the yeast...there should be no such thing as a 'difficult' saison if you are riding the saison vibe correctly. The flavours you are chasing come from the yeast - that must remain your focus. Enjoy!

Coopers recipe looks fine for a kit saison recipe.
Pale malt, wheat, euro hops, saison yeast. Go for it as is, tweak next time if desired.

Brew the Cooper's recipe! I brewed one up in December which I'm drinking at the moment. Super simple and packs a punch.

anthonyUK said:
He's using two pre-hopped kits so 25g will probably be fine ;)
Sorry mate! Should of read post earlier! I was thinking un hopped malt! Ps this would be a really easy style to try with unhopped and doing your own additions

loads of good feedback from the coopers recipe available on here. Like said above its all about the yeast. Saaz should work well too.

My only advice with the Coopers Saison recipe is to not brew too warm.
I know the Belle Sasion yeast can go as high as 28 degrees, but I would be inclined to keep it down around the 22 degree mark.
I brewed one as per the recipe, but at 26 degrees for a bit of an experiment, and the funk factor was INTENSE! Far too intense for me, and I love my Belgians....

Thanks everyone for the advice. Went out and grabbed my ingredients today.

Ended up with:
1.7kg Blackrock East IPA (Nelson hops)
1.7kg Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Wheat (can't see which hops are used on the packaging)
500g LDME
25g Saaz Hops
11g Belle Saison Yeast

Haven't put it into the spreadsheet yet to work it all out but will before I start brewing (probably on Thurs).

I had my first go at putting this into the spreadsheet but there was no MJ's Bavarian Wheat so substituted Cooper's Wheat Beer in my calcs. Anyway the estimates came out as follows.

Brew Size: 21L
Original Gravity (OG): 1.059 (Good)
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (Just High)
Alcohol (ABV): 6.4% (Good)
Colour (EBC): 9.6 (Just Low)
Bitterness (IBU): 39.2 (High)

Proceed as planned or change needed?

Belle Saison will go lower than 1013 for sure. Much lower.

Enter the yeast as 3711PC in the spreadsheet,I think its the only saison yeast in the list, this will give you a more likely attenuation and ABV

I may be talking out my ass but I wouldn't of gone an IPA can, the saison yeast will strip all the malty sweetness out and make it very dry and harsh, the strong IPA hop flavour and aroma might overpower most if not all of the saison flavour that the yeast will impart.

good luck though, hope Im wrong and it turns out a cracker

TheBigD said:
Enter the yeast as 3711PC in the spreadsheet,I think its the only saison yeast in the list, this will give you a more likely attenuation and ABV

I may be talking out my ass but I wouldn't of gone an IPA can, the saison yeast will strip all the malty sweetness out and make it very dry and harsh, the strong IPA hop flavour and aroma might overpower most if not all of the saison flavour that the yeast will impart.

good luck though, hope Im wrong and it turns out a cracker
Interesting, thanks. I changed the yeast to 3711PC (from Wyeast 3724 which was listed as Belgian Saison). Not much changed except ABV lifted to 6.5%. Perhaps I should park the IPA for later and grab a can of Pale Ale? Or substitute with more LME and hop myself?

Brewed this one last week and is now sitting in the fermenter with airlock going nuts for over 72 hours so far! Smells awesome.

Ended up going with the following:
- Black Rock Pale Ale 1.7kg
- Mangrove Jack's Bavarian Wheat 1.7kg
- 500g LME
- Saaz 25g
- Belle Saison Yeat 11g

23L batch size. Saaz were infused in 80 degree water for 15 mins. I rehydrated the yeast which I hadn't done previously. OG was 1.052 (slightly lower than I had expected).

Sounds about right mate. I did the same recipe (but with Coopers tins) in a 22L batch, OG was 1053, FG was 1007.

Killer Brew said:
I had my first go at putting this into the spreadsheet but there was no MJ's Bavarian Wheat so substituted Cooper's Wheat Beer in my calcs. Anyway the estimates came out as follows.

Brew Size: 21L
Original Gravity (OG): 1.059 (Good)
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (Just High)
Alcohol (ABV): 6.4% (Good)
Colour (EBC): 9.6 (Just Low)
Bitterness (IBU): 39.2 (High)

Proceed as planned or change needed?
If your really set on style you need to brew within the paramaters, that being said you can make amazing beer that is not 100% to style but still very enjoyable. I personally am more concerned with if I link drinking it that if it fits to a style as I am sure many are!

Back