Easy Hoe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roughly speaking...
Low carbed beers (Brit Bitters, Stouts etc) 4g sugar per litre
Mid carb (APA's, Euro lagers) 6g per litre
High carb (Wheats) 8g per litre.

Rough guides only. Adjust up or down to suit personal taste.

I always found this pretty good for a deeper explanation...
A Primer on Priming

Cool, going to add around 250g to my batch which is around 21-22L. Should make it nice and bubbly.

Cool, going to add around 250g to my batch which is around 21-22L. Should make it nice and bubbly.

Faaaaaarrrk, frawg.

Thats a lot of sugar: 250g / 22 litres equals 11.36 g per litre. Better wear a helmet and eye protection when near the stored bottles.

Weigh out your sugar and put it in a small saucepan with about 100ml of water. Bring it to the boil on the stove and simmer for 10 min. Cool by placing the saucepan in some water in the sink then add to the bottling vessel. Run the beer into the bottling bucket using a hose coiled in the bottom so the swirling mixes the sugar solution and beer as it runs in. Put the bottling bucket up on the bence and give a gentle stir, then bottle away.

Checked it this morning. Tasting a bit bitter. Might be because 1 coriander seed missed the strainer.....

It was at 1.030 last night and 1.025 this morning.

Any reason it was would going fast through the night? I'm measuring at around 8am/pm each day.

Frawg by keeping on playing with it your going to make yourself nervous and waste wort with those measurements.

Wait til your airlock activity stops them measure on two consecutive days to make sure you have the same reading besides that and your original reading leave your wort alone boy!

Heh,

Can you tell it's like only my 3rd batch. I'm only taking small samples via the tap (30ml or so). I'll leave it for a few days then.

Fair enough, it wont cause any harm just unnecessary thats all.

Every time I read this topic title, I think thoughts around loose, nefarious women.

HA HA MVZ, I have thought the same thing!

Frawg, i thought you would have learned the last time you over sugared your brew :p

Faaaaaarrrk, frawg.

Thats a lot of sugar: 250g / 22 litres equals 11.36 g per litre. Better wear a helmet and eye protection when near the stored bottles.

Weigh out your sugar and put it in a small saucepan with about 100ml of water. Bring it to the boil on the stove and simmer for 10 min. Cool by placing the saucepan in some water in the sink then add to the bottling vessel. Run the beer into the bottling bucket using a hose coiled in the bottom so the swirling mixes the sugar solution and beer as it runs in. Put the bottling bucket up on the bence and give a gentle stir, then bottle away.

i've gone as high as 9gm per lt, VERY CARBED UP, i wouldn't go any higher.

didn't have any bombs btw.

yard

Well I bottled it last night.

FG was 1.006. I did the batch sugaring method with 150g. So shouldn't be too fizzy.

It tasted a bit too bitter. I think i can attribute that to the 2 small pieces of orange peel and 6 coriander seeds that were in with the brew. Will be more careful next time for sure.

Thanks for the help through this one guys.

Latest posts

Back