Easter Brewing 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a recipe already waiting to hit the strike water come Friday, a Best Bitter. In preperation for submission to the Melbourne Brewers British Ale Comp. I better move quickly! Still deciding if i should dry hop her with a plug of EKG in the keg!

getting this ready for brewing on saturday. second all grain and first one in about four years!

english bitter #3

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

08-A English Pale Ale, Standard/Ordinary Bitter

Min OG: 1.032 Max OG: 1.040
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 35
Min Clr: 4 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 20.00 Wort Size (L): 20.00
Total Grain (kg): 3.45
Anticipated OG: 1.037 Plato: 9.35
Anticipated SRM: 11.8
Anticipated IBU: 25.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 23.53 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.032 SG 7.99 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
58.0 2.00 kg. TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK 1.037 3
29.0 1.00 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 3
8.7 0.30 kg. JWM Crystal 140 Australia 1.035 74
4.3 0.15 kg. JWM Dark Crystal Australia 1.036 112

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
16.00 g. Wye Target Pellet 7.00 18.4 60 min.
20.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.50 5.0 20 min.
20.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.50 2.5 5 min.

Yeast
-----

DCL Yeast S-04 SafAle English Ale

A Bitter and a Mild...the mild is going to be dumped the following week onto the yeast cake of the Bitter ( 1469 )

Rook

JSAA clone (partial) will be going in the fermenter this evening.

Hoping it will be my last 'kit' beer before my cherry popper AG, will see how things go...

Brew Brothers,

The Easter weekend is almost here, ready for a big brew session :beerbang:

I must confess to not having brewed in at least 3 months and have stacks of hops, malt and time B)

Am formulating some receipes now. I intend to start back by brewing something so hoppy it will literally peel the paint off the walls. Then followed by maybe something soft and delicate :blink:

What are you brewing for Easter 2009?

Don't forget, the US Masters (golf) is also on!!

Duff
Looks like fatherhood has started to get in the way of brewing. I am headed to Canberra to see the Mother-in-law for Easter, so no brewing. I tried to get a start in The Canberra Cup. 36 holes around Royal Canberra sounded like a good option, but the field was full. I am hoping to watch the golf on TV, Mother-in-law doesn't have FoxSports so I will miss out on the Cricket from South Africa.
Have Fun
Gerard

Was wondering if that had happened yet? Whats the hold up? ;)
Tell me about it :rolleyes:

Life got in the way - work, kids, moving interstate, renting a house with NO room, building a house (don't forget the Shed!).

But after brew session tonight that had just about everything go wrong, I've had enough. Time to pull the 'ol finger out and get this thing happening. Just to make it happen a little quicker, I've put my nearly finished mash tun and keggle right next to the front door so I have to look at them everytime I walk out the door :D
Oh, and I've renamed my brew tonight from JSAA to ASAA (Aw Shit! Amber Ale). Seemed to be saying Aw Shit a fair bit tonight <_<

edit - spelling

Hoping to brew another Smoked Porter this weekend (keg is nearly empty) - However I have run out of RauchMalt and will be using (a lot less) peated distilling malt as a trial. Anyone have any ideas for quantity? Was thinking somewhere between 1-3% of the grain bill, but that is a complete guess... Smells at lot more potent than the smoked malt....

QuantumBrewer - The smoked Porter I currently have on tap had 1.7KG Weyermann Smoked Malt in it, and I find the smokiness too subtle..... 310g might not make any difference with all those dark, intensely flavoured grains in there.... Just a thought!

Cheers

QuantumBrewer - The smoked Porter I currently have on tap had 1.7KG Weyermann Smoked Malt in it, and I find the smokiness too subtle..... 310g might not make any difference with all those dark, intensely flavoured grains in there.... Just a thought!
Well, dang. I took a stab in the dark at how much I'd need. Oh well. If nothing else, it shouldn't hurt the brew. The bag of cracked grain smells just lurvely. I'll see what happens with this one, and perhaps try a dedicated smokey beer another time. The toasted oats should help it a little. Cheers for the heads up.

Feel free to sling a PM my way with your recipe for smoked porter with or without peated malt. :icon_drool2: Sounds like my kinda beer.

Will send you the recipe shortly... Mind you, I also made a RauchBier a while back that was 85% Smoked Malt, and while it was literally bacon in a glass, I thought it lacked smokiness.... :)

Oh well, really enjoying my smoked porter ATM....gonna be very annoyed when the keg finally blows!

Cheers

PS: Love your sig pic... ;)

Will send you the recipe shortly... Mind you, I also made a RauchBier a while back that was 85% Smoked Malt, and while it was literally bacon in a glass, I thought it lacked smokiness.... :)

Oh well, really enjoying my smoked porter ATM....gonna be very annoyed when the keg finally blows!

Cheers

PS: Love your sig pic... ;)
23 litre batch
below 170gm IMO.

OK Perry.... 170g?... I assume you're talking the Peated Malt? Will start with 125g in the first attempt and work up if I'm not happy!

Cheers

Heating up the strike water for a simcoe/amarrillo summer ale atm ( been drinking a few SCB summer ales...) and if there'es time this arvo, a APA to use up some hops and left over grain. 4 and 3/4 out of 5 kegs empty, need to pull my finger out.

Guestimated Schwarzbier
1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale
1.5k Morgans Pale LME
100g Choc Malt
80g Roast Malt
40g NZ Hallertau @60min
10g NZ Hallertau @10min
WLP029 - German Ale/Kolsch
Filled to 23Litres

I reckon tomorrow night or sunday arvo should be good time to do this.
Happy easter everyone.

Doing a double brew day this weekend, either Saturday or Monday. Doing a Pale and a NC Stout. I been tinkering with a recipe for Murray's Wild Thing for a bit and have gotten a bit of advice from the horses mouth... Doing a Pale and then going to drop the stout on some of the slurry.

First up is a Pale Ale kinda thingy;

42L batch

8 kg Golden Promise
.5 kg Carapils
.5 kg CaraMunich

25g Galaxy @ 60
20g Galaxy @ 10

All up about 27 IBU

Going to pitch a blend of 2 English yeasts

I could tell you the stout recipe, but then I'd have to... you know... :D

If anyone from about the Hunter who is sitting on the fence of AGtown and wanting to have a sticky at a brewday, flick me a PM and I'll get back to you with some details...

2 batches on the cards, a Dunkelweizen and one thats just gonna be a bita this 'n' a bita that, both partials. I'm hanging for this weekend, I can taste wheat already :icon_drool2:

Easter is time to brew this years vintage of the Juncthouse pLambic..... Friday - The full turbid mash. Trash Mash Al is coming over to man the mash kettle. Fish burgers on the barby during the 3 hour boil + plenty of sours to go with them.

Asher

Finally have time to recommission the home brewery after its move east so will put down a batch of quiet ale this weekend. 4kg pils, 1kg wheat, 500g vienna, 4.5% ABV, Glacier to 25-30 IBU, 2g/L Glacier at flameout and US-05 to ferment. mmm quaffin' ale.

I'm planning to do my first partigyle - 10L of English IPA for the strong beer and 20L ordinary bitter for the weak beer.

I've a heap of fuggles, Kent goldings and Styrian goldings to chew through, and am going to build up a starter of wyeast 1469 tonight.

Back