Easter Brewing 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day Duff,
Getting some understanding of what it means to be really tired? :)

I have a couple of starters made (both London Ale III).
Designed a Mild, but undecided on the 2nd. Prob. a Bitter of some description.
(Knowing me, will leave till 11th hr)
Both destined for our ESB Winter Comp on August 1.

Rgds,
Pete

Doing my 1st AG right now (Thread)

I'm giving Dr Smurto's golden ale a whirl ....mmmm the mash smells awesome :D

Pok

Just put 60L of Weizen into cubes today - Link

Burned my toe with sparge water...! Beers helped ease the pain...

G'day Duff,
Getting some understanding of what it means to be really tired? :)

I have a couple of starters made (both London Ale III).
Designed a Mild, but undecided on the 2nd. Prob. a Bitter of some description.
(Knowing me, will leave till 11th hr)
Both destined for our ESB Winter Comp on August 1.

Rgds,
Pete

G'day Pete,

I understand now that you can sort of function on very little sleep. Fortunately she is starting to sleep for around 4 hours per stretch now (when she does get to sleep).

Brewed an ESB today actually, and will ferment with 1026 British Cask Ale. Very simple, but tried and true and quite enjoyable.

95% MO
5% Dark Crystal
Target @ 60 to 25IBU
Northdown/Challenger @ 15 to 21IBU
OG:1.050
IBU: 46

Cheers.

Monday morning shall be a Dark Ale of sorts. In the Hunter/Toohey's Old category.

Warren -

i love holidays. planned on three brews for the weekend and already knocked up 2 today. 20 litres of 50/50 pils and ale malt with 10 ibu"s worth of northern brewer into 5 litre cubes for the old man to do partials and a snpa clone for myself. sunday i will be doing a nothern english brown . going to need a break tomorrow so its of to the taphouse in st kildafor a thirst quencher. :p

Planning my first Schwarzbier to go straight onto the S-189 yeast cake from my Vienna Lager, going to pinch a little of Jamil's idea from BCS, a little Roast Barley & Choc Malt with 60% Pilsner Malt and 36% Munich 1.

Cheers
Yard

Thinking of a ginger beer: wandering through my local Coles and found they're discontinuing Brigalow Ginger Beer kits, so bought one ... and then come home and figure out that I'd probably be better without the kit and I definitely want some extra ginger. Ah, isn't it fun being a beginner? All these wonderful new mistakes to make.

I'm going to be stubborn and use the Ginger Beer kit anyway: as it has artificial sweetners in it I'm tempted to make it up as a non-alcoholic brew, and do a non-kit better (and alcoholic) version another time.

On the beer front, maybe Wassa's honey porter?

Ollave

just added my bittering hops for an english bitter. mash smelled fantastic. cant wait for the ekg additions
joe

Oatmeal stout yesterday afternoon and just finished a Munich Helles this morning.

This afternoon will be sitting down and having a couple of glasses of an APA I kegged up yesterday.

Gotta love holidays, don't ya !! :lol:

gary

I'm trying to use up some ingredients i've got in stock, so i'll likely be going with a fairly simple german wheat, possibly a dunkelweizen. I was going to brew another batch of witbier, but G&G failed to deliver the orange peel that I ordered on Monday.

I put down a couple of K&B brews yesterday, using up a couple of kits that Chappo kindly donated to the cause. The recipes I decided to go for are as follows...

Beers brewed 10/4/2009

French Bier de Garde

• 1 x Casacde Golden Harvest kit
  • 1kg Lager Pale Liquid Malt Exract
  • 20g Saaz & 10g Hallertau @ 20mins
  • 5g Saaz & 5g Hallertau @ 0mins
  • WLP 072 French Ale Yeast
Boil LME in 8L water, putting in hops additions. Mixed in kit in fermenter and chilled in laundry tub with a wet towel draped over the fermenter. OG 1.034. Final volume 23L. WLP072 starter in 1L water, 1/2tspn citric acid,1 tspn yeast nutrient & 6 tblspn LDME settled over two days. The starter didn't seem to kick off that well, and I had a back-up sachet of Fermentis S-33 ale yeast ready to roll in case of failure. Pitching temp - ~26 degrees Celcius. Yeast had well & truly kicked off fermentation about 12 hours after pitching.

English Bitter (?)

• 1 x Coopers Traditional Bitter kit
  • 1kg Lager Pale Liquid Malt Extract
  • 500g Pale Malt grains (steeped)
  • 12g Goldings & 12g Northern Brewer @ 20mins
  • 12g Goldings @ 0mins
  • Muntons Premium Gold yeast sachet
Steeped grains in 8L water, then strained the liquor and added LME and another 1.5L of water. Brought to the boil and then did hops additions. Added liquor to ~ 4kg ice from servo & kit in the fermentor, added water to bring up volume to 23L. Stirred wort to mix in kit to mixture. Left to cool in laundry tub with water and a wet towel draped over the fermentor. Yeast pitched the next day, temp ~ 24 degrees Celcius. OG 1.034.

These recipes were not based on anything that was thoroughly researched, just on a couple of hunches and made from available hops that I had left over from other brews and were at the LBHS a couple of days ago. I would have preferred a slightly higher OG, but given some of the brews I have made up lately it is not a bad thing to have brewed up something that is lends itself to being more of a session beer. It should be interesting to see how these pan out!

Apart from that, I'll be around at Chappo's on Monday to help him lay down a couple of AG brews prior to cracking my own AG in the not too distant future!

Happy brewing to all this weekend - GG :beer:

Looking good GG! Put a tipple of that fenchy a side would be curious how that one goes mate.

New brew rigs built so we'll have to give test run GG!

Looking good GG! Put a tipple of that fenchy a side would be curious how that one goes mate.

New brew rigs built so we'll have to give test run GG!

Too easy Chappo. There will be a couple of bottles with your name on it for sure. It smells great bubbling away through the airlock... :icon_drool2: Can't wait for Monday - the rig is looking fine and it will be good to see it in action! Cheers, GG

Finished an ESB just a couple of hours ago.
It's my first shot with fuggles which I've gathered is a bit of a 'love it or loathe it' hop. Thought it smelt very nice, looking forward to how it tastes.

Must be the time for ESBs .. lots of folks have them brewing ATM.

Brewed a double today as the wife decided to go shopping for the day.

40L each of AndrewQLD's Coopers PA (no sugar) and JZ's Bo. Pils.

Another double tomorrow with a Kolsch and American IPA. Golf Monday morning, so by tomorrow afternoon when finished I will have brewed 200L in 3 days :)

Cheers.

Brewed a double today as the wife decided to go shopping for the day.

40L each of AndrewQLD's Coopers PA (no sugar) and JZ's Bo. Pils.

Another double tomorrow with a Kolsch and American IPA. Golf Monday morning, so by tomorrow afternoon when finished I will have brewed 200L in 3 days :)

Cheers.
sh!t duff, good effort! just remember though, the hard work starts in a couple of weeks when its ready to drink :chug:

a bitter getting ready for the cooler weather mayber a scottish next week

English Barleywine, finished brewing at 1.00 in the morning. Ended up with 20 litres @ 1.100. Looking forward to trying this next Easter when I brew another (American style). I reckon this will end up as an annual tradition.

Planning my first Schwarzbier to go straight onto the S-189 yeast cake from my Vienna Lager, going to pinch a little of Jamil's idea from BCS, a little Roast Barley & Choc Malt with 60% Pilsner Malt and 36% Munich 1.

Cheers
Yard

had a perfect easter brewday, hit all the numbers pretty much spot on (1045 is close enough to 1047 :) ), got the Vienna Lager reacked to secondary and is sitting in the Kegerator @ 4*C, Schwarzbier is in the Fermentator with a cup of S-189 slurry being brought down to 8*C to be pitched tomorrow, should have a couple of nice lagers on tap in a month or so.

the keg of irish red blew today though <_<
you can't have it all i suppose....

cheers

Back