East Kent Goldings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza_devil

Reaction score
G'day Brewers,
I've got a nice fresh 90g packet of East Kent Goldings pellets and need a good extract recipe for an Ale which will showcase the flavour and aroma of this hop. I have some Northern Brewer to bitter if needed but would prefer to go all EKG if I have enough to bitter a full brew. Also have around 30g Styrian Goldings left over.
Grains I have left -
40g Carafa II
50g Choc
280g Carapils
105g Caraaroma
365g Caramunich II
220g Roast Barley
480g Black Malt
I'm ordering a 500g bag of Pale Crystal today so I could add another bag to the order if needed. I initially wanted an Irish Red but not sure if it's really a style that would showcase the hop, and I don't have any Carared. I've got a CB twin pack of SO4 and holding off on liquid yeasts at the moment. Something to drink while I watch the cricket in the summer after we bring the ashes home, perhaps an English Bitter.
Cheers.
Edit - still half asleep.

I love my stouts, hence the abundance of dark grains, but would it really showcase the hop flavour or aroma? Is there a particular style of stout that does?
I bottled an Extra Stout 3-4 weeks ago but wasn't planning on drinking it for at least 6 months. Is it true stouts take longer to mature in the bottle?
I also have a nice Baltic Porter, an Imperial IPA and an Ozzie Pale Ale recipe planned, so perhaps I should up my grain order.

Depending on the stout you have made, it is likely that it will improve over a couple of months. (A RIS can improve for years)

I find mine do, and often save some bottles for a year or more if able.

It may be that at 2 months it is drinking nicely, and at 6 has passed it's prime, so have a test taste every month, and when you are happy with it, it's time to tuck in ;)

Can't help much with your recipe sorry.

Marlow

A stout probably wouldn't show off the hops the way you want...
You could go with a golden bitter, something along the lines of

23L
1042 OG
27IBU

3kg pale liquid (or 1.5kg liquid and 1.2kg ldme)
160g caramunich ii
80g carapils
23g EKG 15min
23g EKG f/o
ekg or norther brewer for 60min to 27-28 IBU total. (actual weight will depend on your AA, and your boil volume, obviously).
s04 @ 19-20C

If you wanted to , you could chuck in the 50g of choc, too.

Seeing as liquid malt is so outrageously expensive nowadays if you are spending a heap on the other ingredients why not spend a few shillings more and upgrade to a nice liquid yeast like Ringwood (I did a Ringwood based stout that got a place in a comp) or London 3 (both from Wyeast)

:)

For what it is worth, I just put in the fermenter on the weekend the following:

2kg dry light malt (500g boiled for 60mins, remainder added after boil)
400g Pale Chocolate Malt
300g Crystal (medium)
300g Carared
10g Target (10%) for 60
10g East Kent Goldings (5.8%) for 15
10g East Kent Goldings (5.8%) @ flameout

used s-04 as no other yeast around - ferment at 19

Grains placed in 4l cold water and slowly brought up to about 65 degrees, left for 30mins and then 'rinsed' grain bag into pot with another litre of cold water (5l boil total)

Tasted quite nice out of the hydrometer - looking for a sweet stout style.

23L
1042 OG
27IBU

160g caramunich ii
80g carapils
23g EKG 15min
23g EKG f/o
ekg or norther brewer for 60min to 27-28 IBU total. (actual weight will depend on your AA, and your boil volume, obviously).
s04 @ 19-20C

I'd add the choc and carafa II for some extra flavour!

And bump the IBUs up to 30 but thats all about personal preferences! ;)

23L
1042 OG
27IBU

160g caramunich ii
80g carapils
23g EKG 15min
23g EKG f/o
s04 @ 19-20C

Thanks Butters that sounds like a nice one,
Would you dry hop that with another 23g EKG?
I may have a little trouble attenuating that down to 1.010 or so, should I sub some LDME for dextrose?
Edit - attenuation afterthought

Dry hopping would be a preference thing...I'd leave it until it's time to decide, then see what kind of flavour/aroma you're getting from the sample. If you think it needs a push, then do so.

As far as attenuation....if the wort is well aerated, if the extract isn't stale, and yeast health is good, I don't see the need to add any dextrose to dry it out. I would expect that it should attenuate to probably 1010-1012 ish, which to me is where I would be wanting it.

As smurto said, you could add the choc and some of the carafa as well, if you're after a darker result...I would go 80g combined total, myself.

Oh, and don't overcarbonate it. 1.6-1.8vol CO2 if kegging, maybe 2vol if bottling.

(oh, and I hope Chappo doesn't see this thread....he knows how much I hate EKG :lol: ).

Seeing as liquid malt is so outrageously expensive nowadays if you are spending a heap on the other ingredients why not spend a few shillings more and upgrade to a nice liquid yeast like Ringwood (I did a Ringwood based stout that got a place in a comp) or London 3 (both from Wyeast)

:)

I know mate, and I will. It's a door that I will be opening and I expect it to be into a huge arena. I have a lot more reading to do on the subject and really want to get my technique and knowledge up to scratch. I've just ordered the 'Brewing Classic Styles' book and noticed another title, 'First steps in Yeast Culture' by Pierre Rajotte. Bit exy but may be worth while.
Anyone read it?

Not enough for you to refuse to drink a beer that you are told contains EKG tho ;)

:lol:
I never refuse any beer...I just whinge the whole time, and say 'it would be better with fuggle....' over and over and over again. I swear that Nige changed his bitter from EKG to fuggle, not cos he thinks it will be better, but just to get me to shut the hell up. :lol:

(oh, and I hope Chappo doesn't see this thread....he knows how much I hate EKG :lol: ).

I see you, you two timing tart features! You must have been taking lesson from KRudd with that backflip half twist! Oh read the sig before you backflip again... that quote is no more than 2 weeks old.

Chap Chap

EDIT: Added more stirring! ^_^

I see you, you two timing tart features! You must have been taking lesson from KRudd with that backflip half twist! Oh read the sig before you backflip again... that quote is no more than 2 weeks old.

Chap Chap

EDIT: Added more stirring! ^_^

Ah, but Chappo, the quote says use EKG. Its says nothing about drinking beers that someone else brewed using EKG...

And Muckey - i seem to recall a few big IPAs shut him up. Or does he still talk when he has passed out? :p

Butter's next brew:

Modern Golden Adelaide Ale:

4kg Maris Otter
1kg Polenta
300g Carared

750g White Sugar
500g tub Chinese Maltose Syrup

30g EKG 60 min
20g EKG 10 min

Yeast from under a Tooheys Can Lid

....................... BIAB and bottled in 2L PET primed with sugar cubes :p

Sorry, Boagsy, that my little idiosynchracies give so much amusement to other less mature forum members that they feel it necessary to derail your thread.... <_<

Sorry for the hijack, as it happens I also, personally, find EKG to be a bit of a 'nowhere' hop and although there is nothing wrong with it as such I find that some of the more recently bred UK hops such as Northdown and Euro hops such as Styrian Goldings (actually bred from a Fuggle thanks for the confusion :p ) give far nicer depth and complexities to beers and are well worth exploring for future brews. EKG to my way of thinking is a bit analogous to base malts. It's a good base hop. And just as we can go on to use special malts to dress up the base malt then there's a big range of hops that complement and extend EKG when used in combination.

For those who came in late we rib Butters mercilessly because we do wuv him :)

Back