Dwrahahb?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loikar

Reaction score
Just bottled my first lager, probably not my best beer...

Anyway, Definitely got the rotten egg smell during the ferment, and in taste tests as expected and didn't worry about it at all.
But as I understood it, the lagering process should clear most of this up.
I had it lagering for 2 weeks at about 2-4deg and bottled today.

The rotten egg smell had mellowed but now there is a distinct boiled egg smell and taste, and since it's quite a light beer it's kinda prominent and does nothing for the promise of a good beer.

It was Coopers Kit yeast made from a standard lager kit, only I swapped out the ale yeast for a coopers lager yeast I had lying around (Checked the codes on the pack to make sure it was a lager). temp floated around 10deg and never got over 15deg which I figured would be acceptable for a coopers yeast.

So, back to this boiled egg taste and smell, is this normal after a 2 week lagering under 5deg?

I probably should just do what the topic title suggests but just wanted to run it past you blokes...

Cheers,

BF

I don't know much about brewing Lagers, but I was under the impression that Lagering was done for months, not weeks. Maybe this is the reason the smell/taste hasn't dissipated to the extent you expected? Also did you rack the beer off into a cube/different fermenter, or leave it on the cake while Lagering? Did you raise the temp up to ale territory for a day or so before Lagering? I think that's what the Lagerboys do.

Rotten fart smell linky

The above is quite normal with lager brewing.
It generally dissipate with time.

If you bottle it generally take about 6 weeks to completely dissipate.

I am not sure about the boil egg taste and smell but I guess you are talking about the same but less strong.
I usually refer it to match stick taste and smell. A tip for the future, add 2 sachets and aerate the wort to the buggery and you be better off.

Back