Dusseldorf Altbier Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duff said:
Thanks Gough, it's the 1007 out of Weizguy's Weisse from the Xmas Case.

Cheers.
[post="113599"][/post]​

Just re-read the posts properly and 4 weeks is getting on a bit even with the 1007. The krausen really does last forever though - I've racked out from under it without problems in the past and always had very strong attenuation etc. I usually find at 16ish temps the 1007 takes about a fortnight to finish and then I'll usually rack a few days later.

Just out of interest, did the yeast smell fine from Weiz' 'sour' Weisse after re-culturing?

Shawn.

I stepped it up a couple of times, tried it throughout and it was good, just pitched slurry. Attenuation wise it seems outstanding, just the krausen on top which is probably just throwing me off.

Cheers.

Good stuff :) That Xmas case just keeps on giving.

Good luck with the Alt. If it is as nice as your Kolsch was from the case it should be a ripper.

Shawn.

there is an interesting comment about 1007 in Dave Miller's Homebrewing guide. On pg 146 it says ...

... this yeast will indeed floculate early and rise to the top giving a huge pancake of yeast on the surface. However if the pancake is not skimmed, the yeast will fall back into the beer and will not subsequently fall to the bottom. "

I havent used this yeast, but it sounds like you might want to rack off from under the head before it drops and clouds your beer.

cheers

Sean

Back