Duff Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tucker76

Reaction score
Need a little advice.

Put together my first effort on Monday Night. Threw in the yeast at 24 degrees and put fermenter in the pantry. Its been at a constant 24 degrees for three day now.

What i want to know is (a) is 24 degrees far too warm?, (B) Have i brewed some duff beer?

Any advice would be helpfull.

18-20deg for ale yeasts and 10-12 for lager yeasts. You may be ok really 24 is pushing it but you may be alright. From experience 32 is WAY! to hot :p

18-20deg for ale yeasts and 10-12 for lager yeasts. You may be ok really 24 is pushing it but you may be alright. From experience 32 is WAY! to hot :p

I think i have read somewhere that coopers supply these its with an ale yeast or am i just talking jibber jaba, as i have spent the last few nights trying to soak in as much home brewing info as possible.

The brew foam has settled and i am thinking of removing the collar from the fermenter tonight.

What do you think my chances are of creating something at least pallatable.

remove what collar? sorry lol.

All coopers kits come with ale yeast except euro lager. I think some have a mix of lager and ale yeast to. There was a thread going around a year or so ago about what yeast was supplied with the kits maybe do a search I dont have time ATM.

All coopers kits come with ale yeast except euro lager. I think some have a mix of lager and ale yeast to. There was a thread going around a year or so ago about what yeast was supplied with the kits maybe do a search I dont have time ATM.

He'll be referring to the new Cooper's fermenters with the coller, I'll bet!

Leave the coller on till someone who knows the set up of these can advise, but if I remember correctly the new design is to prevent blow off, so you don't need to open it and expose your beer. Why do you need to take it off? It will be an ale yeast but try to keep it below 22C if possible and leave it for at least 14 days to clear and settle(use your hydrometer).
Your beer may not be the best that you'll make, but it's your first... relax and have a homebrew....i'm sure it'll be drinkable, even if it takes a few months.

cheers

Hirns

With regards to the above, I bought the European Larger kit, on page 2 of the instructions(which are pretty generic) there are two lines that state turn to page 7 for notes on the European Larger, where it states that it is a special larger yeast.
I also purchased an Australian Lager kit and a Canadian Blonde kit at the same time. Each kit I am presuming came with the same yeast as all three have the same barcode on the back of the yeast. What I would like to know if they are the same yeast or not?

European Lager has a Lager yeast, Canadian Blonde has a Coopers Ale yeast and Australian Lager has an ale yeast.
I suspect your first brew will be ok even though the temp was a bit high. However I have brewed at higher temps with no ill effects. Mind you I have tank water.
Stewie

thought you were kidding

I have 3 * 6packs of duff in mint condition

carton has been opened

ive been told by experienced brewers that you can brew ale up to 35 deg! stuff that though. ive brewed at pretty high temps but i seriously reckon the difference in taste is slight

Back