Dude.... Where's My Krausen....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adz1179

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

Followed the evolution from kits and bits, extract, 1 partial and now maxi-BIAB enjoyed the journey immensely so far :icon_offtopic: how good is AG beer by the way. I think I have about 150 full bottles of kit beers in the cupboard that im finding hard to drink now that ive gone the BIAB route - inlaws.

Sorry, back on topic.One thing I have found so far with all of my beers (about 10 so far), regardless of method, is that my fermentation is a bit boring. I think ive read a thousand posts on here with Krausens out of control and trying to escape, or airlocks bubbling madly, all of mine have barely bubbled :unsure: .

Dont get me wrong, im starting with OG's around 1.040 - 1.050 and getting them down to adequate levels (1.006 - 1.014), but they hardly bubble at all and by day 3 it just looks like flat beer.. I think my first BIAB (bo pils) was the biggest - about an inch of foam on top...

I have only used dried yeast so far that i sprinkle on the wort dry, and I ferment in a temp controlled fridge - my question is, am I missing anything by not having a wild krausen??? apologies if this is a silly question - just struck me as odd after reading so much on here....

:icon_offtopic: Oh btw gourmet farmer, tonight on sbs EAST 7:30 or 8:30pm is about home brewing (according to the TV guide)

Buy a smack pack of Wyeast 3068 chuck it into 20L of 1.050 wort...

But yeah, as long as you are getting good results you're doing the right thing. I've never had a krausen monster from a dried yeast.

I have only used dried yeast so far that i sprinkle on the wort dry, and I ferment in a temp controlled fridge - my question is, am I missing anything by not having a wild krausen??? apologies if this is a silly question - just struck me as odd after reading so much on here....
Yeast are living beasties, and just like each person is different it appears that each fermentation can be different.
As long as you are happy with your beer, the only thing you're missing out on is the potential mess to clean up when the krasuen over-flows your fermentor. :)

Hi Brewers,

Followed the evolution from kits and bits, extract, 1 partial and now maxi-BIAB enjoyed the journey immensely so far :icon_offtopic: how good is AG beer by the way. I think I have about 150 full bottles of kit beers in the cupboard that im finding hard to drink now that ive gone the BIAB route - inlaws.

Sorry, back on topic.One thing I have found so far with all of my beers (about 10 so far), regardless of method, is that my fermentation is a bit boring. I think ive read a thousand posts on here with Krausens out of control and trying to escape, or airlocks bubbling madly, all of mine have barely bubbled :unsure: .

Dont get me wrong, im starting with OG's around 1.040 - 1.050 and getting them down to adequate levels (1.006 - 1.014), but they hardly bubble at all and by day 3 it just looks like flat beer.. I think my first BIAB (bo pils) was the biggest - about an inch of foam on top...

:icon_offtopic: Oh btw gourmet farmer, tonight on sbs EAST 7:30 or 8:30pm is about home brewing (according to the TV guide)

You could try rehydrating your dried yeast. It's recommended and may get you off to a more vigerous start. Are you oxygenating the wort at time of pitching yeast? This will also help. Probably the biggest is temp control. If you're brewing at the lower end of the recommended range for your yeast there will also be less action.
mckenry

Hi Brewers,

If your airlock isn't bubbling much maybe you haven't got a tight seal on your fermentor. When I was doing kits I used to get a decent amount of activity in the airlock but a couple of times I didn't have a good seal and there were no bubbles but I could smell the gas in the air so just tightened the lids up a bit and away she went. Sometimes it's the simple things.

Yeast are living beasties, and just like each person is different it appears that each fermentation can be different.
As long as you are happy with your beer, the only thing you're missing out on is the potential mess to clean up when the krasuen over-flows your fermentor.
smile.gif

true, good point.
You could try rehydrating your dried yeast. It's recommended and may get you off to a more vigerous start. Are you oxygenating the wort at time of pitching yeast? This will also help. Probably the biggest is temp control. If you're brewing at the lower end of the recommended range for your yeast there will also be less action.
mckenry

yeah i have read up on the pro's and cons of rehydrating - will prob give it a go. Also prob onto something re the temp range. Have the fridge pretty low for lagers and pils during winter, but it probably does drop below 12deg in the fridge overnight.

If your airlock isn't bubbling much maybe you haven't got a tight seal on your fermentor. When I was doing kits I used to get a decent amount of activity in the airlock but a couple of times I didn't have a good seal and there were no bubbles but I could smell the gas in the air so just tightened the lids up a bit and away she went. Sometimes it's the simple things.

sorry should have made it a little clearer.... by bubbles i was meaning krausen. im using the coopers diy fermentor - which doesnt have and airlock.

Cheers for all the responses. :D

If you can cube your brew, pitch on a yeast cake... if still no activity, brew and pitch on the double yeast cake...

There should be activity by then.

:icon_cheers:

I had my first krausen escape yesterday. Jerrycan, no blow off tube or airlock (have done several brews same way). I used SA-05 as I'm trying for an ESB, and I rehydrated the yeast prior to pitching.
I now have a brown sticky mess to clean from the bottom of my 'fridge and sides of my FV.
So, while a "nice active ferment" may be a good thing, I think the slow and steady ones are less messy.

As said previously, as long as your getting good results, it doesn't really matter too much mate. I have not had any experience with lagers as of yet because I use us-05 and sometimes sudo-lager at 15-16C'. Making a good 1L starter 2 days before and pitching at the high end of the recommended temperature with a highly aerated wort will give you a cracking fermentation. I pitch my starter with my wort sitting at 22C' and keep it there for a day or 2 before dropping it back to 18C. Usually I get a good 2in of krausen.

But like everyone said, as long as your beer hits it's proper gravity and your not getting any odd flavors then your in the clear!

(I've been AG'ing for about 6 months now......and I thought my kit beers tasted good before hand but WOW! I know exactly what you mean :D)

Best of luck.

oops.
SA-04.

I usually make APA's / AIPA's and use US-05.

Usually get good attenuation.

No off flavours since I ditched the kits. :)

thanks everyone for all the replies...

I got another xmas present this morning.... I finally found my Krausen...

Wyeast 3068 smack pack... first time using a liquid yeast.... less than 24 hours after pitching and im nearly at the top of the fermenter - and thats a coopers DIY fermenter with the collar on it for extra room....

kr_001.jpg

kr_002.jpg

sorry for the crappy phone pics

Back