Dry Versus Ferment Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweetheart, get me a beer would you?

QUICK, the game's about to start!!!!!

Does anyone have shares in a popcorn factory I can purchase. I have a feeling price may rise.

In the dictionary under "tool" there is a description of this turd.

Where is that ignore button.

Wanker...

Qb I give the utmost respect to PH (potential hydrogen's) in the course of brewing my beer

I purchased a $600 temperature corrected meter to get and monitor control of PH
You paid $600 for something to measure something that you call "potential hydrogen's"? Good luck with that. Let me know if you have more money to burn - I'm sure I can hook you up with a 'Sugar's Good' meter.

Anyway, my comments were to haysie, as a response to his comments to me. There are other people here you know.

(And you really don't need to alter the fonts when you respond - kinda annoying).

TB it doesnt take long to bring out the worst in peoples posts does it

And thats not referring to your information either

I know that there is a lot of information on brewing science which was probably supplied by chemists and not brewers

So in the real world of flavor and aromas is in the glass in front of us not in some brewing text

I love to read as much as the next (dedicated) brewer to further my (our) knowledge

But there is no teacher like experience

If the cake tastes good eat it

So thats why I posted comments on hopping, it is to get positive feedback not some chicken shite comments from others

If it is any positive to you others my imbibing tonight was one bottle of 3 monts biere de flandre

Good night

speedie

Dude, your an angry drunk. Too many Sunday arvo drinkie poo's for you.

It is dickheads like you that make sites like this unatractive to the average bloke trying to pursue a hobbie. You get very technical then bleed angry dribble, WTF

I, for one, am sick of reading your shit. So proud of your smarts. Dumb ****.

Cheers All,

Tommy

Champ you haven't seen the half of it!!! You may also find another brewing site even more unattractive if you don't like speedies comments here.

Could also be a case of Pot - kettle - black kind of thing there me thinks... Go find Chapelle & get something to chill out.. ;)

The hydrocarbon fraction, which is the dominant fraction you obtain from dry hopping, is to a huge extent, removed by volatilization within moments of hops being put into boiling wort... The stuff that isn't driven off is to a large extent changed by heat and heat driven oxidation in hot wort. The non hydrocarbon fraction of the hop oils, is also, but to a lesser extent driven off in a boil and changed by heat.

How long does it take for the hydrocrabon fraction take to be driven off? Would it still be present when cube hopping, or is the minute or two taken to fill the cube enough to send it out the hole? My cube hopping experiment is going well, and i have achieved a flavour experience that i haven't had before. I'm doing one with cube hopping and dry hop, one just cube hop to see the difference.

Thanks for your other response, i bought some phos acid so i can safely wash yeast, should be here today. Its probably not necessary but i like the idea of it.

I for one appreciate the effort TB. Don't for a second think that cause the person you are responding to is a brick wall that what you are saying is falling on deaf ears.

I have to say this is the most confusing thread I have ever read on these forums, some posts must have been deleted because everyone seemed to get angry for no reason. Have you guys been drinking?

Anyway, carry on.

I have to say this is the most confusing thread I have ever read on these forums, some posts must have been deleted because everyone seemed to get angry for no reason. Have you guys been drinking?

Anyway, carry on.

It seems, Felten, that some others on the forum have had run ins with one user in particular on another beer forum. I dont know personally, but getting the feeling of another 'Boobiedazzler' episode??

:lol:

That was one fun couple of weeks!

Tyler

It seems, Felten, that some others on the forum have had run ins with one user in particular on another beer forum.

Yep there is 1 common denominator!!!

& I can guarantee this will last longer than 2 weeks.

Wow, wot a bunch of dicks (I'm not talking about everyone here, just the ones hiding behind anonymous monikers while being arseholes to each other on a public forum)

I do appreciate the Canberra Brewers - loads of nice people who rarely lose respect or common coutesy for each other even while on a forum

Anyhoo, back to the OP.

I have just put together an Epic Pale Ale clone la Jamil Zainasheff and The Brewing Network. They managed to get an entire recipe out of Luke from Epic which was nice of him and for those of you who don't subscribe you may be interested to know that it has seven (7) different hop additions - all of which are Cascade! 500g of the stuff in a 40L batch!

75min, 30min, 10min, flameout/start-of-whirlpool, end-of-30min-whirlpool, then dry/warm-ferment addition a few points above terminal gravity for the last few days and finally they add another load after crash-chilling the fermenter to ~2degC and let it rest there for a few (5?) days or so more.

The result is an incredibly complex hop character - a beer that really seems like it has more than just regular, old Cascade in it.

It would seem that loads of different characteristics from the one variety of hop can be expressed in your beer when they are added at different temperatures and physical activity-stages of the boil/chill/ferment.

I am about 3 days off kegging the beer but I will let you all know how it turns out.

cheerio all!

Dan Rayner

@haysie - you takin' the piss or just trying to sound difficult?

Never take the piss QB, the eggspurts to that quite well around here dont they.

@Dan Rayner, when you were winning,hosting everything mate you didnt have time to post here despite many many calls for feedback, people were abused told to basically go **** off if they asked what was going on with the Canberra brewers mess. Whats changed that makes you come back all high and mighty??

Grassiness in dry hopping for me has been all to do with hop variety and little to do with anything else.

These days I don't add any hops post boil - mainly because after the first glass all that hop aroma is brain-negated - like if you've ver been to Rotorua in NZ, when you drive in the place STINKS ... after an hour you cannot smell it anymore.

For me, I like the hops to be on the tongue more than the nose, and I find late additions do this nicely. It also helps if you get hops cheap enough to add massive late additions - I find a lot of the need for dry hopping is aroma economy - there's something sad/wasteful about dipping 100g of hops into your boil for 10 minutes.

@Dan Rayner, when you were winning,hosting everything mate you didnt have time to post here despite many many calls for feedback, people were abused told to basically go **** off if they asked what was going on with the Canberra brewers mess. Whats changed that makes you come back all high and mighty??

Hmm. I haven't been as regular a poster to the AHB as others but I don't remember actively or consciously denying anyone feedback; if, through my absence, I have neglected any requests I apologise but I certainly wouldn't have told anyone to "basically go **** off". I'm not on a high horse, I just feel more constructive discussion would benefit the brewing community and would be more encouraging to newcomers to this site.

Cheerio,

DR

Ok, that was a little sanctimonious - but it is true though, I like forums where people feel cool posting info or requests for info without it getting ugly.

Grassiness in dry hopping for me has been all to do with hop variety and little to do with anything else.

These days I don't add any hops post boil - mainly because after the first glass all that hop aroma is brain-negated - like if you've ver been to Rotorua in NZ, when you drive in the place STINKS ... after an hour you cannot smell it anymore.

For me, I like the hops to be on the tongue more than the nose, and I find late additions do this nicely. It also helps if you get hops cheap enough to add massive late additions - I find a lot of the need for dry hopping is aroma economy - there's something sad/wasteful about dipping 100g of hops into your boil for 10 minutes.

This suggests though that dry hopping adds nothing to flavour which in my experience is not true. Even if you soak hops in water for 5 days and then drink the water, you will taste something. My main reason for dry hopping is a freshness of flavour in the right beer rather than just to make it smell nice.

Ok, that was a little sanctimonious - but it is true though, I like forums where people feel cool posting info or requests for info without it getting ugly.

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC, last comment. If you dont like it getting ugly dont call us a "mob of dicks".
THE END.

Cheerio

This suggests though that dry hopping adds nothing to flavour which in my experience is not true. Even if you soak hops in water for 5 days and then drink the water, you will taste something. My main reason for dry hopping is a freshness of flavour in the right beer rather than just to make it smell nice.

For sure dry hopping adds flavour - but it can also wreck a batch if one is not familiar with the hop or has an aversion to grassiness in small amounts. I find I can get the same amount of flavour (though less of that "flavour" is the aroma proportion (which I prefer)) through using more hops late in the boil. I find its flavour superior to dry hopping's vegetal hints - but it costs a lot more than 1g/L. Horses for courses and YMMV.

BTW - thanks for the bottle :) . It was a supurb example of dry hopping done well!

I agree, amazing aroma and flavour in the right dose - and in a way that you don't necessarily get through other additions

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC, last comment. If you dont like it getting ugly dont call us a "mob of dicks".
THE END.

Cheerio

Yeah, yeah, fair enough, I did jump in feet first with that comment. Ironically, I guess that makes me part of the bunch of dicks

For sure dry hopping adds flavour - but it can also wreck a batch if one is not familiar with the hop or has an aversion to grassiness in small amounts. I find I can get the same amount of flavour (though less of that "flavour" is the aroma proportion (which I prefer)) through using more hops late in the boil. I find its flavour superior to dry hopping's vegetal hints - but it costs a lot more than 1g/L. Horses for courses and YMMV.

BTW - thanks for the bottle :) . It was a supurb example of dry hopping done well!

With all the whirlpooling and the time it takes for my batch to cool down (with a plate chiller) I'm just not entirely sure how much aroma is lost from an addition at flame-out (or how much extra bitterness is extracted, anyone seen any research on this?) Dry-hopping just gives it that little bit more aroma...

Back