Dry Or Liquid Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSR

Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys think, is dry or liquid malt better? Does it depend on the type of brew you do.

Are there any advantages to either?

I've brewed with both. Dry is much easier to store, decant and measure. Costs more gravity point for gravity point, tho.

I've brewed with both. Dry is much easier to store, decant and measure. Costs more gravity point for gravity point, tho.

I myself have only used dry, did you notice much of a difference with the liquid?

As said, good points and bad.

The main issues I had with dry was it did seem to be more expensive for the amounts I needed, and I found the quality to be variable between the two main stores I frequented. One dissolved so quickly I could easily add the whole 1kg with minimal clumping and the other I would never add more than a quarter of a bag or so. I'm sure that said something about the quality of each too.

Liquid has issues with freshness in theory but I would check the can dates or else buy 1kg containers from one that I hope were reasonably fresh...

I didn't really have an issue with the measuring of liquid, but that's probably because I mainly really started on liquids all the time when I was mini-mashing. 1kg of base malt, specialty grains and 3kg of LME is quite a nice amount for many brews of a normal strength.

Before that I also used to design my recipes around the sizes I could get, rather than try and use half containers...

So it could kind of be price vs flexibility I guess...

I would frequently mix and match too so really I didn't find any major issues either way.

As said, good points and bad.

The main issues I had with dry was it did seem to be more expensive for the amounts I needed, and I found the quality to be variable between the two main stores I frequented. One dissolved so quickly I could easily add the whole 1kg with minimal clumping and the other I would never add more than a quarter of a bag or so. I'm sure that said something about the quality of each too.

Liquid has issues with freshness in theory but I would check the can dates or else buy 1kg containers from one that I hope were reasonably fresh...

I didn't really have an issue with the measuring of liquid, but that's probably because I mainly really started on liquids all the time when I was mini-mashing. 1kg of base malt, specialty grains and 3kg of LME is quite a nice amount for many brews of a normal strength.

Before that I also used to design my recipes around the sizes I could get, rather than try and use half containers...

So it could kind of be price vs flexibility I guess...

I would frequently mix and match too so really I didn't find any major issues either way.

Yeah i have also noticed the variance between some DME products when adding. I'll try a liquid next brew using the whole can so as I don't have to worry about storing.

There are lots of choices available just looking over at my shelves I can see 18 canned or dry malts to pick from, cost isnt the only reason to choose one over the other.

They all taste different - just looking at the dry malts that are readily available:-

Coopers Light DME
Lightest and cleanest of the DME's great for lagers and yeast starters
One of the most expensive available tho

Bintani Light DME
Good value, very traditional "Dry Malt" flavour, I mostly use this one for blended sugar mixes and "Australian Draught" style beers.

Bintani Dark DME
Not a black malt (one of the canned Dark malts or the Muntons Dark would be better for Stouts) but quite dark excellent for "Amber, Old and Porter, maybe even Bock" brews, well priced

Muntons Wheat DME
The only dry wheat I can get; its about 60% wheat so it's excellent for any wheat beer, as well as for head improvement in K&K brews

Muntons Light DME
Just have to choose this for any "Pale Ale", from either side of the pond. Lovely malty toffy flavour profile without being at all cloying

Muntons Amber DME
Give me a bigger spoon! Not only excellent for any "Amber, Old or Bock" huge toffee note, it tastes the best of any DME, yes people do buy it to sprinkle on their breakfast cereal (I am one of them) just sensational.

Muntons Dark DME
Best for "Stouts, Doubles, Porters and anything Big and Black" rich caramel and toffee notes without any astringency.

Enjoy

MHB

I myself have only used dry, did you notice much of a difference with the liquid?

I used Coopers light DME from a 28Kb bucket. It made nice beer, but I hated the mess of scooping 2-3kgs out of the bucket. My DME of choice was Bintani Light. Very nice, clean fermenting extract.

See above. When bought in bulk, you should get a pail fitted with a honey gate to make decanting easier.

I never really got into buying malt (or extract) in retail quantities. $9/kg retail for DME as opposed to $100-$120 for a 20kg bag of DME or ~$130 for 28Kg of LME (plus the cost of pail).

Anyway, it's all in the past for me. MSR, if you're going to buy in bulk, I recommend you get the best and lightest extract you can and add colour with your specialty grains as needed. Unless of course you always brew one thing.

My understanding is DME has higher diastatic ? power than liquid malt and because some melanoidan reaCtions continue in liquid malts, so if colour is a real issue, an all DME partial (although messy) might be an option.

Great range of malts MHB !

I personally found LME more cloying than DME in the finished beer and was more difficult to drop the last few points of fermentation(Probably explains the cloying character).

I sourced cheap LME a year or so ago from a brew on premises mob near work. I rang and sorted a price, 3kg for $20, took a tub along and the fella gave me 3.6kg...those taps are a bugger to turn off ;) Might be worth a go.

cheers

I never really got into buying malt (or extract) in retail quantities. $9/kg retail for DME as opposed to $100-$120 for a 20kg bag of DME or ~$130 for 28Kg of LME (plus the cost of pail).
WTF!! Where???? :blink:

My understanding is DME has higher diastatic ? power than liquid malt and because some melanoidan reaCtions continue in liquid malts, so if colour is a real issue, an all DME partial (although messy) might be an option.

Great range of malts MHB !

The Bintani sacks I used to get had "without diastase" printed on them.

Is there any difference in fermentability between dry or liquid malts? :unsure:

Went to the supermarket last night and in the spreads section found 1kg tins of SAUNDERS LME for $7.60 each. In a previous thread someone recommended the use of these for brewing....

Has anyone used this LME and what were the results? Pretty cheap stuff compared to the HBS.

It's been a while since I have used any extracts,back when I did I found dried malt extract always resulted in a beer too sweet for my liking.
Liquid was way more messy but worth the effort IMO.

Batz

Back