Dry Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobrien

Stubborn Scientist Brewing
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm designing a beer for the QLD case swap, and want to dry hop in the fermenter. So my question:

How do folks sanitise their hops before dry hopping in a fermenter?

M

No need just chuck them in.

This was the original use of hops in IPA, to preserve it on the voyage to India.

Thanks Jye - I gues I was asking if anyone does sanitise, as some people are worried by it.

There is a good article here: http://byo.com/departments/1105.html

Basically chances of bacteria contamination are low, as either yeast are so active, or pH low and alchohol high.

But the chance is still there - so I was wondering if anyone does anything about it. I cna't think of anything that wouldn't get rid of the hop oil though!

M

Mobrien
I read somewhere that you "will never get an infection from adding hops". Dunno if it is true, but I have never had a problem, and I know that alot of the big boys in the states (as in famous micro's - like SNPA, Stone, Dogfish Head, etc...) all dry hop in the fermenter, and sometimes in the cask of a cask conditioned ale.
Just chuck em in, you will have no problems (or you shouldn't!) If ya do get an infection, ya have a fair bit of time to make another.
All the best
Trent

I cna't think of anything that wouldn't get rid of the hop oil though!
M

Exactly. I think I read the same thing as Trent, I remeber it saying "you will never get an infection due to hops". Just make sure the hop ball/bag are sanitised if you're using one (I'm sure you would have sterilised it anyway) and you should be right.

Latest posts

Back