Dry Hopping With Wet Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moray

Reaction score
Has anyone dry hopped with fresh hops ?
i.e. pick em, then pitch em.

I have quite a few cones on my chinook bine, but I'm not quite sure if their ripe enough yet.

I have an aipa that has been fermenting for a few days now.
I reckon it could benefit from some wet hopping, just to get that over the top hop hit.

how many cones would people recommend chucking in ?

You could make a hop tea then add it to the keg (or fermentor when ready to bottle).

Wet hops contain about 90% moisture from my understanding, so a fair few flowers will be required.

Or just throw them in to see how it goes! :icon_drool2:

Has anyone dry hopped with fresh hops ?
i.e. pick em, then pitch em.

I have quite a few cones on my chinook bine, but I'm not quite sure if their ripe enough yet.

I have an aipa that has been fermenting for a few days now.
I reckon it could benefit from some wet hopping, just to get that over the top hop hit.

how many cones would people recommend chucking in ?

Have only ever used home grown wet hops for flavour. Unsure of AA so only add them at 30 min. Beers always have a fine tight head and some flavour contribution, bit hard to recognise as I've only ever used Wurtemberger from memory. Would like to try home grown Cascade or Chinook. Might have some flowers from these varieties this year.

Screwy

Yes please!

I think that this is where you will get some aromatics from hops that you will never ever get from pellets. Use 6 times as much as you would think you would normally use, eg. if you would normally add 20g, add 120g. I have also guestimated my stuff at between 50 and 75% of commercial AA%.

Ensure that they are papery-ripe on the plant. AFAIK there is a lot of development of the resins and oils at the end of the flower's life, and this is obviously what you are after in your beer. Go for it if they are ripe.

ive used wet hops and the aroma was damn good but havent had the chance to do it again. might this year though.

In celebration of this thread I just cracked a rogues wet hop ale, then shared it with megaswill drinkers. First I was all happy, then it was all gone.

And for the tighter assed folks out there ... you can dry your dry hopping hops and use them for bittering with the added bonus that their flavour is largely gone, but their acids have not!

Latest posts

Back