Dry hopping to increase bitterness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
[SIZE=medium]Brewing on a BM has the advantage of being able to replicate good beer with monotonous regularity. One thing I have been doing lately is dry hopping. Especially my favorite IPA with Citra, Nelson Sav and Galaxy. (ie all very high A/A hops. What I have been noticing is that every time I have dry hopped with more and more I could tell the the bitterness increased somewhat. Next step was to do an experiment with no kettle hops and ferment 3 small batches with just dry hopping and see the diff.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Anyway it would appear that this has been done. See link.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Its worth a try. I used to think dry hopping was a waste of good hops, to some extent, but it would appear that a/a are isomerized in fermenting wort[/SIZE]

Steve

http://eurekabrewing.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/dry-hopping-vs-bitterness/

And here is a commercial eg.

I first learned how far some brewers were pushing late hopping while drinking a pint of AleSmith's Evil Dead Red with owner/brewer Peter Zien. This Halloween seasonal ale has substantial malt character, smooth bitterness, luscious mouthfeel, and an evil looking almost blood-red (deep mahogany) color. Yet, what really made me take notice was the amazing hop flavor and aroma that is a very enjoyable part of the beer from start to finish. When I asked Zien how he got that profile, he replied, "Except for 3 or 4 IBUs, we add all of the hops during the last 10 minutes of the boil." At that time I had never heard of, nor tasted, anything like that, and I was intrigued as much by the possibilities for this technique as I was by the beer I was enjoying

http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php

Dry hopping is definitely not a waste of hops. There are other things in hops that add to bitterness apart from alpha acids.

Bang on lukiferj.
Polyphenols, isohumulene and isoxanthohumol just to name a few. There are about 15 groups all up that will contribute to bitterness.
Not to mention astringency which is, more often than not, perceived as bitterness.

Go ahead with your experiment, but GEEZ don't let the dry hops sit for 3 weeks like this guy did. Of course it's gonna be grassy and taste like a hop pellet when you let it sit for 3 weeks! A one week dry hop is max. After that, you're risking the off flavors.

my take on things is that dry hopping doesnt add IBU bitterness, however it will add aroma and flavour, that flavour can be percieved as bitterness.

I used to be cautious of teh dry hop and only go for 2-3 days, then i dry hopped while i was away for 7days and boom...massive aroma achieved.

That's what I'm talking about, Pratty!

And I think you are correct about the perceived bitterness. Either way, I have a hard time NOT dry hopping a beer. Then again I am an IPA girl AND a hop head. :D

No, it is actual bitterness. It is perceived bitterness as well. As I previously said, there are 15 groups of chemicals in hops that will add bitterness. Bitterness not IBU. This is important.
IBU is a specific term used for a measurement of isomerised alpha acids. It is not 'how bitter is my beer?'.
How many IBU does a bitter gourd have?

Thankyou nfh. I think the blind insistence that hops add only bitterness OR flavour OR aroma, combined with the focus on aa%/ibu is responsible for brewers failing to grasp that ibu is simply a measurement of isomerised alpha acids in solution (and there are several alphas) not a measure of total bitterness.

If you are dry hopping from boiling into a cube it should be fine, dry hop at this stage is like a 10-20 minute boil but.

I usually dry hop around 4-5 days pre bottling.

The first line is cube hopping though, not dry hopping. Two different beasts.

SJW said:
Especially my favorite IPA with Citra, Nelson Sav and Galaxy.
Yes, I'm about to go off topic....

Can you post your recipe SJW please? I love Citra, NS and Galaxy (and I have a freezer load full)

Pratty1 said:
my take on things is that dry hopping doesnt add IBU bitterness, however it will add aroma and flavour, that flavour can be percieved as bitterness.
Is there another way of experiencing bitterness other than perceiving it? If something tastes bitter, it's bitter. IBU or no IBU.

lukiferj said:
Dry hopping is definitely not a waste of hops.
Agreed. Question... if you dry hopped with say - 30gm of a specific hop, could you then use those exact same hops in a boil to bitter another brew?

5kgs of pale
750g wheat
250 carra red
15g of NS, Galaxy & citra at 90 & 20min
15g of NS, Galacy & citra dry hopped
And 500g sugar

breakbeer said:
Don't be such a tight ass
Don't be such a dick. If you don't know the answer or don't want to contribute that's fine. Leave the knickers untwisted.

Unfortunately not all of us may be as blessed as you seem to be with money, or might be a little more concerned with doing things as on the cheap as possible. It's a legitimate question. We reuse yeast, so what's the difference? What's the harm in asking?

I have no real evidence to warrant and answer.. but I would think the majority of oils acids etc would be released once absorbed in liquid/wort. That's my guess

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Easy guys it's just beer. Who gives a shit. Just mash, thrown in some hops and ferment. Most of the time u will end up with........beer,. It ain't rocket science

SJW said:
Easy guys it's just beer. Who gives a shit. Just mash, thrown in some hops and ferment. Most of the time u will end up with........beer,. It ain't rocket science
some call it liquid gold.. the gold trade can be dangerous

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back