Dry hopping to increase bitterness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C-MOR said:
Is there another way of experiencing bitterness other than perceiving it? If something tastes bitter, it's bitter. IBU or no IBU.
The key difference here is bitterness vs astringency.
Bitterness is a flavour that is detected by your tastebuds. Astringecy is a physical sensation in the mouth. Astringency can come from tannins and polyphenols present in the beer. This physical sensation is quite often perceived as bitterness.

slcmorro said:
Agreed. Question... if you dry hopped with say - 30gm of a specific hop, could you then use those exact same hops in a boil to bitter another brew?
I have been meaning to try it. Pretty sure I have read somewhere on AHB that others were going to try it too. Don't remember reading the results. Would be interesting though. Particularly after a heavy dry hop, the hops can come out still smelling amazing. Seems a waste sometimes.

dent said:
I once recycled whirlpool hops from a czech pils to re-use as second-hand bittering hops in a stout for the next brew that afternoon.
Quoted from the AHBs biggest tightarse thread.

SJW said:
[SIZE=medium]Brewing on a BM has the advantage of being able to replicate good beer with monotonous regularity. One thing I have been doing lately is dry hopping. Especially my favorite IPA with Citra, Nelson Sav and Galaxy. (ie all very high A/A hops. What I have been noticing is that every time I have dry hopped with more and more I could tell the the bitterness increased somewhat. Next step was to do an experiment with no kettle hops and ferment 3 small batches with just dry hopping and see the diff.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Anyway it would appear that this has been done. See link.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Its worth a try. I used to think dry hopping was a waste of good hops, to some extent, but it would appear that a/a are isomerized in fermenting wort[/SIZE]

Steve

http://eurekabrewing.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/dry-hopping-vs-bitterness/

And here is a commercial eg.

I first learned how far some brewers were pushing late hopping while drinking a pint of AleSmith's Evil Dead Red with owner/brewer Peter Zien. This Halloween seasonal ale has substantial malt character, smooth bitterness, luscious mouthfeel, and an evil looking almost blood-red (deep mahogany) color. Yet, what really made me take notice was the amazing hop flavor and aroma that is a very enjoyable part of the beer from start to finish. When I asked Zien how he got that profile, he replied, "Except for 3 or 4 IBUs, we add all of the hops during the last 10 minutes of the boil." At that time I had never heard of, nor tasted, anything like that, and I was intrigued as much by the possibilities for this technique as I was by the beer I was enjoying

http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php
what is a BM

I get called a Dick for suggesting its a tightarse thing to do, yet there it is in a thread aptly titled AHB's biggest tightarse

I feel vindicated

Since when has tightarse been such an offensive term?

Some people even see it as a badge of honour

Farken lighten up

I'm off to re use some tea bags & hang some cling wrap on the line to dry :p

I guess dry hopping is not for the typical "tight ass". But let's face it, if money was not an object I would just buy kegs of Timothy Taylor, Hobgoblin, and anything Belgium. But as money is a consideration we need to pick the things that we feel are worth a few extra bucks. I like to spend my money on
1) good brewing equipment ie, BM and stainless bling
2) temp controlled fermentation
3) best quality ingredients
I think being a tight ass is perceived as how u use these tools. Eg, reusing flame out hops for bittering the next brew...WTF

breakbeer said:
Since when has tightarse been such an offensive term?

Some people even see it as a badge of honour

Farken lighten up

I'm off to re use some tea bags & hang some cling wrap on the line to dry :p
I dry my t bags

put in a container with metho and use them as firestarters

SJW said:
5kgs of pale
750g wheat
250 carra red
15g of NS, Galaxy & citra at 90 & 20min
15g of NS, Galacy & citra dry hopped
And 500g sugar
Thanks Steve. Are you using us05? What volume in to the FV?

Sugar seems excessive, what's the reasoning behind that? Alcohol without the body?

Latest posts

Back