Dry Hopping Efficiency With Flowers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Bastard

Brew Cvlt Doom
Reaction score
Just looked at my latest IPA in the secondary cube, and damn if there isn't a veritable raft of hop flowers floating on top. 90 g of Motueka and Pacifica to be exact. Been in there 4 days now and will be bottled Sunday. The last I did with flowers was a Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale and that had 40g, and a similar raft on top, but they were definately wet through at least. I wasn't happy with the hop aroma in that one, so adopted a more is better mindset.

The buggers definately don't sink, and can't possibly the best way to utilise 90g of hop flowers.

The way I see it, I have the following options:

1) don't rack into a cube for secondary and dry hop in the primary fermenter where I can fit a sock full of hops and a big bit of 1" stainless bar through the hole.
2) Keep jamming hop flowers through the hole in the cube and just deal with the wasted money
3) Buy a Blichmann Hop Rocket (or make my own ghetto version)

Anyone got any thoughts regarding dry hopping with large amounts of flowers?

Cheers,

FB

Use a sanitised hop sock with a few sanitised marbles and your flowers to hold it down in the beer?

I've found that with 80g of pellets that 7 or 8 M12 staino nuts will sink the sock initially, but they'll be floating after 3 or 4 days, and there's no way I can fit a sock with 40g through the hole in a cube with something bigger, like a piece of 1" stainless bar.

So, utilising my ace powers of comprehension, what I'm really asking is:

Is there a better way of utilising hops to achieve the same aroma, or should I just leave the beer in the fermenter (where I can fit a big fat hop-sock and weights through the hole) for the whole 3 week ferment schedule and not bother pissing about with racking to a cube for secondary.

Cheers,

FB

+1 for the sanitised marbles but i just went to the supermarket, got some of the knee high stockings and stuffed it full of flowers + marble and tied a knot in the open end, dropped it into the cube, no dramas.

EDIT: sanitised stocking before use.

Whole flowers need more boiling as apposed to pellets. This is because pelleted hops have been crushed exposing the lupulin glands. Does that sound right? :huh:
If dry hopping with whole flowers you may get a better result crushing or chopping up the cones.
I'm not sure if that's what you're asking but thought it worth considering. :blink:

Whole flowers need more boiling as apposed to pellets. This is because pelleted hops have been crushed exposing the lupulin glands. Does that sound right? :huh:
If dry hopping with whole flowers you may get a better result crushing or chopping up the cones.
I'm not sure if that's what you're asking but thought it worth considering. :blink:

That makes quite a bit of sense. So if I get a big bowl, my, ahem, dry vegetable matter and a pair of scissors and chop it up finely, and leave out the tobacco, I may get better utilisation of the lupulins.

Nice to know my youth wasn't mis-spent! :blink:

Might even be able to make 90g of dry flowers fit into the cube that way!

That makes quite a bit of sense. So if I get a big bowl, my, ahem, dry vegetable matter and a pair of scissors and chop it up finely, and leave out the tobacco, I may get better utilisation of the lupulins.

Nice to know my youth wasn't mis-spent! :blink:

Might even be able to make 90g of dry flowers fit into the cube that way!
Just don't get carried away. That shit might hurt.

use something sanatisable, stainless and magnetic in a hopsock (cutlery?) and a neo magnet on the outside of the cube

as for your current dilemma, i have nothing...mister miyagi the hops out?

Just rock it a bit or stick a racking cane in and break them up a bit. They float because that is what they do.

You could try a hop tea if floating flowers bothers you.

Blend your hop flowers before you put them in, boil or dry hop.
I started using this method to prevent flowes blocking taps and after noticing how much lumpulin was left in whole flowers after the boil.
Have found that I get more bitterness/flavour/aroma out of the same weight of flowers by blending them.
Cheers.

I blend my flowers for dry hopping as well (and if using them w/ Argon method). I don't think it helped them to sink in the FV, but it makes me feel better about any wasted lupulin.

Sampled the 90g dry hop IPA today as I was bottling it. Certainly had a big hop aroma and taste!

Yesterdays brew day was to be Ross' NS Summer ale with more late hop additions to increase hop aroma, but in the spirit of experimentation, I did exactly the same recipe as last time but with the hop additions mull...er... chopped up in the blender. We'll see how it goes in a few weeks time. I'll copy the last IPA with the 90g dry hop next brew but with mulled up hop additions to see if I can taste the difference again. 410g of hops is a lot to be putting into a 20 litre brew!

Just don't get carried away. That shit might hurt.

hmmm....never thought of smoking hops, apparently its a relative of weed, never smoked weed though

never thought of hop efficiency might have to give the marbles a try

i normay just dump a heap of flowers direcly into the fermenter and just put a stocking over the tube when im transfering into the seccondary

1 gram of hops hash builds up on the harvesting machinery as a result of every 50 kilograms that pass through, but that doesn't necessarily mean that hops hash is 50,000 times stronger than hops. They're being deliberately deceptive. :ph34r:

Just to add some closure to the thread, I sampled the NS ale with the blended hop additions today. It's noticably more bitter and noticably hoppier, and I far prefer this version, even after only a week in the bottle.

Looks like I will be blending all hop flowers prior to use in the future. I'll try the Motueka/Pacifica IPA next up just to be sure!

thanks for reminding me that i forgot to blend yesterdays argon, although i did just dump everything into the FV without straining, so hopefully i get some flavour from that

i need to make a big sign for the garage that reminds me to blend the flowers and add the floccer @ 10 - forgot to add it to the last 3 brews

Latest posts

Back