Dry Hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyyu

Reaction score
how long do you have to dry hop a normal 23l brew to add any extra flavour,or is it hit and miss :icon_cheers:

dry hopping tends to add aroma rather than flavour. And one normally dry hops for 3 to 7 days, once fermentation is complete or close to.

I think if you want to add some flavour you could probably boil the hops for 10-15min in some water (a few cups depending how much hops we're talking), then chuck in the resulting liquid. I haven't done this so I don't really know how it would turn out, but i reckon itd probably be OK, I'd do it if I felt I needed to.

how long do you have to dry hop a normal 23l brew to add any extra flavour,or is it hit and miss :icon_cheers:

From what little I have experienced and read about, 3-5 days is about average.

FYI there is a Dry Hopping episode of Brew Strong on the Brewing Network
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/Brew-St...-08-Dry-Hopping

If you have the time to listen to that, it will answer pretty much any questions you might have.

After high kraussen (foam is starting to drop back) add your dry hop addition which can be left until the finish of fermentation. This will add aroma but contribute little to no flavour IMO. I haven't tried to add a flavouring hop addition once fermentation has started so really can't comment as to a viable method. What Sammus has suggested sounds a like reasonable method. I used to add a hop tea in my K&Bs days but that was before pitching the yeast.

Cheers

Chappo

thank you gentlemen,ive just strung a bag of tet hops in was intending to leave for 48 hrs as experiment,will see how it goes,cant hurt :D

thank you gentlemen,ive just strung a bag of tet hops in was intending to leave for 48 hrs as experiment,will see how it goes,cant hurt :D

HeyYu,

Leave it in there till you either rack to bottles, bottling vessel or keg. Won't hurt ya and saves the infections risk.

Cheers

Chappo

I often add hop tea (say 20g of hop flowers or a couple of plugs made into a litre of 'tea') two or three days before bottling. If you want a tad more flavour and bitterness, make hop tea in saucepan and boil for fifteen minutes.

I did it with a couple of Hallertau plugs in a brew that desperately needed extra aroma and it turned out a bit grassy but this has mellowed out in the bottle. I have made a very full flavoured malty and hoppy UK style ale which I bottled 2 days ago. I felt it needed a bit more aroma and in view of the fact that a lot of UK beers now use Cascade (unheard of until a few years ago) I put in a hop tea of 20g NZ Cascade two days before bottling and the sneaky taste I had was sensational.

You might want to adjust the recipe to brew a tad 'over gravity' if you intend to add a litre of hop tea late in the process.

thanks fellas shall see how i go ,bribie g lived there for 4 yrs in 70',old man fished there bfor bridge,just houses along foreshores rest bush

If you've ever met someone who has lost their sense of smell, you'll know that "flavour" and "aroma" are the same thing. The tongue tastes bitter ... it does not taste hops - your nose does.

Leave a pellet of hops in a cup of cold water for three days and tell me the water doesn't have any "flavour"... ;)

And if you dry hopped in a keg using a stainless tea ball?

Some say to just leave it, others say take it out after a week.

Some say too long gives grassy flavours, others say it makes little difference.

Dry hopping add pellets in the Fermenter
(add towards the end of fermentation, as too early and the CO2 will scour all the aroma ) they will sink when the fermentation ceases 4-5 days

Dry hopping pellets in secondary container ,
Alternatively some people transfer off the yeast cake completetl into a secondary container again to avoid the yeast reducing the aroma as the active yeast attacks the hops 4-5 days.

Dry hopping in the keg with Plugs or whole hops .
ensure you use something to cointaine the plug like Screwtop suggested ( swiss voile or a white pool filter basket stocking bag, its like a ladies pop sock( steralise ) large enough to allow them to expand ,weight the bag down with SS washers steralize ,use dental floss to suspend the bag in the keg .
The reason for the dental floss is you need remove the dry hops from the keg after 5 days or the hops break down and you will get a 'Vegetal' flavour to your beer which you dont want .
You can refresh the dry hopping in the keg after the first week
Dry hopping in the keg effect only lasts s for a few days then you really need to replace ,it is a bit of stuffing around but can be worth it even if ou try it once .
Not everyone likes the flavour from dry hopping in the keg but you never know if you never try it .

Make sure you use the fine stocking so you dont get floaties in in the keg .

you may still get some dust from the hops on the first schooner dont throw that as it tastes the best the dry hops in the keg appear to add a lot of body to the beer.

The best whole hops for Dry hopping are East Kent Goldings for English Bitter ,this is one of the few styles that really traditionally is dry hopped in the English Cask ales , you would not normally dry hop German beers for example ,you could dry hop American APA but I found the Cascade plugs I used added something but not much to the final beer .

Be warned dont leave hops in the keg more than a week or you will get Vegetal flavours from the decomposing hops .

BEST TEMPERATURE TO DRY HOP AT IN THE KEG 20C

Pumpy :)

Latest posts

Back