Drsmurtos Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2thebrew

Reaction score
Going to try the famous DrSmurto's kit version of the James Squire Golden Ale this weekend, and after many hours sifting through recipes / threads on here, have settled on the following;

KIT VERSION
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt (or other light crystal)
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
Yeast - US05

My questions are;
(1) how much water do I steep the Caramalt in, and for how long?
(2) Do I need to add any of the wheat malt extract to the boil, and if so, how much?

Forgive the newbie questions, but this is only my second brew using grains & hops.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:party:

Going to try the famous DrSmurto's kit version of the James Squire Golden Ale this weekend, and after many hours sifting through recipes / threads on here, have settled on the following;

KIT VERSION
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt (or other light crystal)
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
Yeast - US05

My questions are;
(1) how much water do I steep the Caramalt in, and for how long?
(2) Do I need to add any of the wheat malt extract to the boil, and if so, how much?

Forgive the newbie questions, but this is only my second brew using grains & hops.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:party:

Sounds good, I brew JSGA all year round it's my fav beer.
Use 2-4 Litres of water per Kg of grain.

I would use a muslin bag
65-68C for 30-60 mins remove the bag then boil for 2-3 mins
Just make sure you dont get the grain any hotter than 80C.
It may come out a bit darker then JSGA, I'd swap the Coopers Wheat LME for Morgans Wheat LME as it's lighter & I reckon better for this type of beer.

On the label of JSGA it says the colour comes from roasted barley & wheat
I use..
500g Carapils
125g Crystal Wheat
100g Pale Crystal or Caramalt
4L @60C x 40 mins + @68C x 30min
1.7Kg Cascade Goldern Harvest
1kg Morgans Master Wheat LME
3x 15g Amarillo (5m/0m/5days)

But that recipe sounds good as is & should give you a good result.
The right yeast too. Ferment at low temp (15-17C if you can, this will give you a really clean result)

Kegged : American Oak Pale Ale (B2Y AG), Saaz Lager (B2Y Partial), Gingerbeer (B2Y Kit/Kilo)
Conditioning : German Pilsner (B2Y AG), Boh Pilsner (B2Y Partial), Aussie Prem Lager (B2Y AG Kit)
Fermenting: Dry Stout (B2Y Steep Kit), Mango Gingerbeer (B2Y Kit/Kilo), Brilliant Ale (B2Y Partial Kit)
Planning:
English Brown 100% Floor malt (B2Y AG), Californian Common Beer- Anchor Steam clone (B2Y Partial)

New2thebrew,

I did the exact same brew a couple of months ago, best kit I have done, same as Jimboley has said, I started with 4 litres at a temp of 70c and steeped for 30 mins, dropped the bag in and out a couple of times, then added the wheat malt and 250g ldme, then at the boil did the hops stages, these kind of brews have been gathering the equipment slowly for AG, nearly there just a couple more bits.

will do my third lot of this recipe next week

Cheers,

Markvm

Back