Drinking Beer In The Sun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
This question to me sounds almost ridiculous but I can't fight the urge to ask it.

I've recently made a kits and bits beer that included dry hopping in the keg. I didn't really think the dry hopping did much, and I could only really notice it if I burped :icon_cheers:

I was drinking it each time in doors.

Anyway I needed to go outside to tell a crow to gtfo out of my courtyard, and pretty much as soon as the sun hit the beer I could have sworn it started tasting and smelling a lot different. I'm not even talking about it warming up, it was more as if the sun itself activated the dry hops in the beer or something. Particularly the smell, but as you know a lot of flavour comes from smell.

I may try to reproduce this as an 'experiment' next chance I have. Am I completely insane?

Is this why people (including me) love beer gardens so much?

LOL sounds like a good experement. And Drinking beer in the sun sounds like a good way to test it. :beer:

Cheers Vice

Thats fresh hops, for you. When I drink outside (in daylight), I always drik halves, not pints, particularly if I'm busy doing something (like brewing). I've had pints that have skunked in the summer sun before they even had a chance to warm....

Be careful of dehydration, in the sun you need to increase water intake to compensate for drying out.
I stay inside and drink less water ;)

Thats fresh hops, for you. When I drink outside (in daylight), I always drik halves, not pints, particularly if I'm busy doing something (like brewing). I've had pints that have skunked in the summer sun before they even had a chance to warm....

Ahh so I'm not insane then?

To be honest I thought it was a positive result, but then I was about 2/3 of the way through a pint and I gulped the last 1/3 pretty quickly, so it didn't have a chance to turn bad.

To be honest I thought it was a positive result, but then I was about 2/3 of the way through a pint and I gulped the last 1/3 pretty quickly, so it didn't have a chance to turn bad.

If it wasn't a change for the worst (skunking), the only explanation I can come up with is that the some of the beer began to evaporate and the aromas became more apparent at that point.. I'm probably way off the mark though!! :icon_cheers:

All I can think of is the extra flavour/aroma came from the beer warming up! I can notice a remarkable difference in the strength of flavour/aroma when a "hoppy" beer is at room temperature rather than straight from the fridge.

The only time I drank a pint of UK bitter in the sun was in a beer garden in Peterstone Wentloog, a charming hamlet half way between Cardiff and Newport on the coastal plains next to the Severn Estuary. Sipping my Brains Special Ale and lounging back and stretching out I thought "how good can it get?"

Then a seagull shat all over me from a great height. As you know UK seagulls are as big as ducks, not the little wannabees we have in OZ :lol:

when I opened the bottle of Ambassadors Reserve the other week it specifically said let the beer warm to about 7-11 degrees, where the flavours really come out and shine - AND - they really did! it was amazing what different temps do to it

The only time I drank a pint of UK bitter in the sun was in a beer garden in Peterstone Wentloog, a charming hamlet half way between Cardiff and Newport on the coastal plains next to the Severn Estuary. Sipping my Brains Special Ale and lounging back and stretching out I thought "how good can it get?"

Then a seagull shat all over me from a great height. As you know UK seagulls are as big as ducks, not the little wannabees we have in OZ :lol:

LMAO, Especially those Welsh ones! :lol: :lol:

This question to me sounds almost ridiculous but I can't fight the urge to ask it.

I've recently made a kits and bits beer that included dry hopping in the keg. I didn't really think the dry hopping did much, and I could only really notice it if I burped :icon_cheers:

I was drinking it each time in doors.

Anyway I needed to go outside to tell a crow to gtfo out of my courtyard, and pretty much as soon as the sun hit the beer I could have sworn it started tasting and smelling a lot different. I'm not even talking about it warming up, it was more as if the sun itself activated the dry hops in the beer or something. Particularly the smell, but as you know a lot of flavour comes from smell.

I may try to reproduce this as an 'experiment' next chance I have. Am I completely insane?

Is this why people (including me) love beer gardens so much?

Maybe the beer is like Superman, needs the sun to be all super like :D

Aaron

Beer 007 comment is valid. You do notice a lot more about your beer the warmer it gets, at least I've found.

Chill the hell out of it and you wouldn't be able to taste as many of the flavours that would be in your beer. By way of example I have a terrible lager I'm drinking my way through and am chilling the hell out of it to remove the green apple taste (didn't ferment long enough, long story). When it warms up, I have to drink real fast as the astringent apple taste comes back! Aaargh! :lol:

Hopper.

Initially, its a good thing....as it warms up, it opens up it's flavours...; but if it skunks, then it's nasty shit.

Michael, I don't think there's enough sun in a year in iechyd da land for beer to skunk.... :lol:
Cymru am byth :icon_cheers:

Back